Stanford CS193P video 15 ipad/iphone popover approach.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1458279, Jan 6, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

Towards the end of the app, he does popovers and adds the popover controller to a nav controller for the iPhone. Everything is working fine.

Then, he adds the iPad and changes everything. The approach used seemed very complex and might have been done just to show how something is done.

Has anyone watched this video and did you understand why he did things the way he did? The changes start around the 50:00 mark when changes things for the iPad.

The issue I have is that this seems to add confusion to the project and might have been done by splitting the project within storyboard. The storyboard has the size option at the bottom where it says "any any"

Is this really the best way to approach something like this?
    How do you deal with iPhone vs iPad differences, because this looks a bit awkward.

Just looking for opinions.

2. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I did not watch the movie. Any any however is used in Auto Layout to instruct that constraints apply to all devices. All devices being every kind of iPhone/iPad. That being said I saw that almost every method of the pop over controller got depreciated in iOS 9

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I guess that's part of the question, why not use auto layout and just have an any/any and any/... to apply changes for the iPad?

I don't know if you can, but the path taken in the video seems a bit odd to me.