Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Stanford University and Apple have partnered on a new iPhone app that provides police officers, firefighters, and paramedics in the Bay Area with up-to-date information and safety practices related to the COVID-19 pandemic, as noted by CNBC.

stanford-first-responders-app.jpeg

The app includes a screening questionnaire to help first responders determine if they should be tested for the coronavirus, based on their symptoms, medical history, and exposure. If the app recommends testing, the first responder can schedule a high-priority appointment for drive-through testing at seven Stanford Health Care locations.

The app, which uses Apple's ResearchKit and CareKit frameworks, also includes up-to-date information about COVID-19 from Stanford experts, including a list of frequently-asked questions, a guide with best practices to stay protected, and weekly videos with the latest information on the pandemic and its implications.

In the future, Stanford hopes to expand high-priority testing to frontline essential service workers, such as grocery store clerks and public service personnel.

The new First Responder COVID-19 Guide app is available on the App Store.

Article Link: Stanford University and Apple Partner on New COVID-19 App for First Responders

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
I wonder what role smartphone touchscreens have played in the spread of viruses such as COVID-19. Some viruses such as SARS and MERS can survive on glass for up to 9 days. I've gotten into the routine of cleaning my iPhone screen and body with an alcohol wipe after washing my hands.

Reactions: Rodney Dangerfield
Comment

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I wonder what role smartphone touchscreens have played in the spread of viruses such as COVID-19. Some viruses such as SARS and MERS can survive on glass for up to 9 days. I've gotten into the routine of cleaning my iPhone screen and body with an alcohol wipe after washing my hands.
If you share a device, definitely a higher risk. If it's your own personal device that you don't share, then probably not going to have much impact.

Additionally, alcohol can damage your screen coating, would be careful about that.

Comment

Aston441

Suspended
Sep 16, 2014
The dirty little secret behind all the accolades for the medical folks is that they’re quitting in record numbers, because they don’t feel like being exposed to a high level pathogen, essentially suicide missions, while making less than plumbers, in the orders of idiot administrators hanging out teleconferencing from their comfy chairs at home. Idiot administrators who had months of warning to obtain adequate PPE and did nothing because it might eat into their bonuses.

Comment

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
They’re also using a platform called Catapult to streamline the vetting process of every manufacturer and supplier prior to the hospital chain. Allowing them to buy from known and verified vendors.

Comment

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
The dirty little secret behind all the accolades for the medical folks is that they’re quitting in record numbers, because they don’t feel like being exposed to a high level pathogen, essentially suicide missions, while making less than plumbers, in the orders of idiot administrators hanging out teleconferencing from their comfy chairs at home. Idiot administrators who had months of warning to obtain adequate PPE and did nothing because it might eat into their bonuses.
And there are those of us who continue to go out of a sense of obligation...yet I have not been given any “accolades” which you speak of...

Comment

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Ok bud.
Yeah, hospital staff is primarily made up of people over the age of 65, with weakened immune systems… & just going to work is an “essential suicide mission”.
Jesus, hyperbolize much??

Reactions: pdaholic
Comment

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
If you share a device, definitely a higher risk. If it's your own personal device that you don't share, then probably not going to have much impact.

Additionally, alcohol can damage your screen coating, would be careful about that.

I'm not following you. If someone touches a surface with a virus on it that means virus is now on their fingers. When they use their smartphone's touchscreen that virus is then deposited on their phone screens. If they wash their hands afterwards their fingers will be clean of virus...until they touch their smartphone screen again, which causes the virus on the screen to be transferred back onto their fingers.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.