Stanza and ios5 are in a fight

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NQK, Oct 21, 2011.

1. NQK macrumors member

NQK

I was in the middle of a book, right at the good part, when I updated my phone and ipad. When I tried to open stanza and continue my book, it flipped out, froze both devices, and tried to hijack my home screen.

I liked being able to change the background, text size and colors in stanza. I hope they'll update it soon.

So besides stanza, which I love and miss, what other pdf reader apps do y'all like?

2. Holden2011 macrumors newbie

For PDFs, I am still using ibooks but have a big unresolved problem because Stanza

As for everyone, my stanza too crashed after upgrading to ios5

But that was not all. My going to Stanza folder at the bottom, only an inaccessible folder Inbox was available and all my 45 odd DJVU files disappeared

However, they still seem to be taking up space in my Books Folder

When I check the Books folder in itunes, it shows 1 GB more than what shows up under the Books for ibooks.

I deleted Stanza in sheer frustration but the space is still being taken up by those DJVU books

is there ANY way to delete them and get the space back?

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Did you delete Stanza from your phone, or completely from iTunes?

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I have went to using ShuBook. It's not perfect, but seems to be one of the better ones available. There is also i2Reader and Blue Fire. First one that completely replicates Stanza most accurately stands to make a lot of cash.

5. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

Trying out ShuBook, thanks for the recommendation.

6. maccatmac, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

maccatmac macrumors newbie

I couldn't sleep for ages for the last 2 nights without Stanza! Sad but true. I used it all the time, but especially at night to fall asleep. I even waited before upgrading to iO5 but stupidly didn't check if there were any issues with Stanza specifically in advance - I use Stanza more than any other app by a mile.

Downloaded Bluefire, Shubook & Megareader, and checking them out now. One word of caution - someone in another forum mentioned that i2reader hasn't been updated in over a year and isn't mentioned on the developer's website. Worth checking before spending money.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I liked Stanza too, but from what I've read on different forums, development has ceased.

8. maccatmac, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

maccatmac macrumors newbie

EDIT:
    Shubook doesn't support PDF either :(
    Ok, tested Megareader, Bluefire and Shubook, and Shubook definitely FTW. Megareader wouldn't (couldn't?) import PDFs and Bluefire can't connect to my MBP.

I downloaded Calibre to manage the library, dragged and dropped all my files into it (not sure how I did without a database app previously!) and Shubook connected straightaway to it. It feels very similar to Stanza.

If you want a free alternative, I'd try Shubook

9. gordyc44 macrumors newbie

Instead of Stanza

Blio could be worth a go. I used Stanza for reading novels and had everything in LIT format. After it broke, I looked around and found Blio. It's slow to upload into your iPod but is otherwise good. Text quality might even be better than Stanza. Oh, and I used Calibre to convert everything to epub which should future-proof it for the most part. Calibre is *very* worthwhile.

10. NQK thread starter macrumors member

NQK

thanks for the suggestions! most everything I was reading on stanza was in pdf format. I tried using calibre in the past but I couldn't get it to act right either. I'll try a few of these out and see how they are. Thanks!

11. Jjones1345 macrumors newbie

IBooks.... Not as many options to change but a better reader

You can't change the background colors or font colors but it gives you a better read because you see the different paragraphs. I really want them to put that function in, it was my favorite option on stanza

12. Holden2011 macrumors newbie

From my ipad 2 and also completely from iTunes

13. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

I agree with the OP

I liked its high compatibility, as well as being able to change the brightness with a swipe up and down very conveniently.

Kindle is better in that they have more convenient dictionary, syncing through an account, but its maximum font size too small.

14. rmatile macrumors newbie

Recovering books from Stanza library...

I had accumulated more than 400 books in my Stanza library and was trying to figure out how to put the whole list back together when I came across a tip to download Stanza Book Restore from the Lyxcycle site. It worked like a champ and I now have my entire library of ePub books in a folder on my desktop ready to upload into whatever reader I choose to replace the lost, greatly lamented and once beloved Stanza.

This only works if you HAVE NOT deleted Stanza from your iPod, Phone, or Pad and synced with your Mac.

You can access Stanza Book Restore by Googling stanzabookrestore and then reading through the page, which is not exactly well-advertised on the Lexcycle site.

Think I'll give both Shubook and Blio a tryout...

15. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I'm going to say "uBooks" is the next best thing right now.

16. NixS macrumors member

uBooks is simple and handy. It has very good interface customizing. The scrolling is real nice!
    Also this app supports a lot of formats of eBooks (epub; fb2; html; txt; fb2 in zip.)

17. jep888 macrumors newbie

alternative reader similar to stanza

I made the mistake of upgrading to ios5 before reading the forums about the problem that occurs with stanza. I searched a number of alternative book readers and found BLUEFIRE which I found was similar to Stanza in many respects. It does not have all the features of stanza, in particular the Shared option in Get books, but it is close enough.

I was able to export all my stanza books from itunes to a folder on my HD and then import them into BLUEFIRE which was great because many of the other book readers I tried did not let me do this. The only problem I found was if you have a lot of books and try to upload them all to BLUEFIRE it can freeze, but I just uploaded in smaller batches and it worked great. BLUEFIRE does not have the SHARED option in their get books but I wrote them them and was told they may be adding it in the future,

The only part of stanza that still works without freezing is the Shared option which lets me download books from sites I specified. So even though I could go to my usual sites for downloading books in BLUEFIRE, I can still download them with stanza. It is a bit cumbersome since you have to download in stanza, save to a folder and then import to BLUEFIRE, but it works!

When you open stanza if you get the exception error message click on "continue" and then click on Get books. If you click on any other option it will freeze.

18. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

Updated!

I just checked my app updates, and there was an update with iOS5 support for Stanza. Seems to be working just fine now.

19. mds macrumors 6502

Wow. New version released yesterday! This is going to make a LOT of people very happy.