Stanza sharing broken

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jayducharme, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

For any of you who share your Stanza books via USB: today's Stanza update breaks that ability.

Hmmmm ... right on time for the launch of the iBook Store....

2. kicko macrumors 65816

A pain in the ass maybe but you can still transfer via wifi, if that helps anyone.

3. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I see Apple is hellbent on locking people into their ecosystem, by any means necessary.

5. bmn10 Guest

I suggest we zero-bomb them...or since iTunes doesn't let you rate something zero, flood it with 1-star reviews.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why would you rate the APP low like that, it isnt their fault Apple made them. The app is still an awesome reader, to rate it low isnt cool.

And thus why app store reviews are pointless, only the dumb (mostly) leave comments.

7. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Do Not Update!!!

Apple Demands Removal Of USB Sharing Feature In Stanza iPhone App

As always with the Apple and the App Store, Apple has demanded that Lexycle disable USB sharing and they are not even able to discuss it because Apple told them not to. I guess they don't want any competition with the iBooks Store.

Stay classy Apple!

8. bmn10 Guest

It's one of Apple's "featured apps", and one the they've recommended several times. Negative reviews are going to adversely impact people's opinions of them.

9. forum user macrumors regular

For some time now I am syncing my books in Stanza with Calibre via wifi. I don't miss the usb sync much
    HowTo is here

10. bmn10 Guest

Agreed. I actually haven't transfered books or any documents using USB for a long time now, since running a home server has the major advantage of letting you update your collection from anywhere you can get a cell signal (in fact iTunes is the app that's still living in the stone age, since they still haven't implemented a way to access your library wirelessly, despite many requests).
    I doubt this update is going to bother "power users" at all, since once you know how to setup a server that's usually a more appealing option anyway. Rather, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to newbies who don't know much about networking, and people running OSes with poor networking support (Windows 2000/XP-SP2 anyone?). My point was simply that it's a stupid removal, even if the feature itself was buggy.

Even if you don't care about the USB I'd still suggest not updating, simply because this latest version is ridiculously unstable.

11. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Really this is the developers fault, they were using an unsupported means of transferring and storing books on the iphone (storing them in the DCIM photo directory according to WashPost).

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think this is promising as it points to OS 4.0 having more robust filesystem support. I think we'll see the iPhone/touch get the same shared folder setup that the iPad is reported to have in 3.2. This will let users just drag and drop the file into a "Books" folder or whatever and make things a lot easier.