Staph Infection

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
100,000 people in the US come down with drug-resistant staph infection every year. Many times more than that come down with the regular kind. There's no getting away from it. Just be sensible about cleanliness and contact with people who are sick, and don't worry about it.

Comment

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Hospital-acquired staph infections are much more dangerous than those kinds that are transmitted in public. Being worried about getting staph from just walking around is a bit naive. Better focus on looking both ways when you cross the street.

Comment

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
This happened around our school recently, but trust me, if you demonstrate proper hygiene, you're very unlikely to get it. Just don't cut open your arms and rub them over everything you see and you'll be fine.

Comment

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
There are identical reports from all over the country. This staph is everywhere ...you can't simply move away from it.

Honestly, this is nothing new; you're just hearing about it now because the media is obsessing over it at the moment. ...After about a month you'll never hear it mentioned again.

Comment

iSaint

macrumors 603
I contracted a staph infection last year. It was treated with antibiotics and disappeared in a week. It's scary, because I've never had one in 44 years of life, and because it was the first year working around 1,370 high school kids.

Other responders are right: be sensible about hygiene and you'll be ok.

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
pretty much as long as you are generally healthy you are not going to get a Staph infection

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.