Staph Infection

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eric55lv, Nov 7, 2007.

1. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wash your hands regularly. Best defense against this kind of thing.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

100,000 people in the US come down with drug-resistant staph infection every year. Many times more than that come down with the regular kind. There's no getting away from it. Just be sensible about cleanliness and contact with people who are sick, and don't worry about it.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hospital-acquired staph infections are much more dangerous than those kinds that are transmitted in public. Being worried about getting staph from just walking around is a bit naive. Better focus on looking both ways when you cross the street.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

This happened around our school recently, but trust me, if you demonstrate proper hygiene, you're very unlikely to get it. Just don't cut open your arms and rub them over everything you see and you'll be fine.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There are identical reports from all over the country. This staph is everywhere ...you can't simply move away from it.

Honestly, this is nothing new; you're just hearing about it now because the media is obsessing over it at the moment. ...After about a month you'll never hear it mentioned again.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I contracted a staph infection last year. It was treated with antibiotics and disappeared in a week. It's scary, because I've never had one in 44 years of life, and because it was the first year working around 1,370 high school kids.

Other responders are right: be sensible about hygiene and you'll be ok.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

pretty much as long as you are generally healthy you are not going to get a Staph infection