Staples Chrome "Study" Stand?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by StBDawg, Apr 14, 2010.

1. StBDawg macrumors regular

I saw another thread with a link to TUAW's article showing some cheap stands. They called one a Staples Chrome "Study" Stand for $7.99. I can't find it anywhere on Staples website and I went to 2 different locations and they didn't have it. Does anyone know what the specific name of it is? I typed Chrome Stand, Chrome Study Stand, Study Stand, etc... into the search box on Staples.com and nothing came up. I am very bummed because it looks like a perfect stand and I can't find anything similar to it. I want something very basic that will hold it in Landscape and Portrait views. I saw the other thread where someone found a Medium Display Easel from Jo Ann Fabrics but I don't like the look of it.

2. moviecouple macrumors regular

I bought a few of the Medium Display Easel from Jo Ann Fabrics and they work great. Perfect for both Portrait and Landscape. I like how you can barely see anything is there, very minimalistic. Folds down easily and is super small and portable. The part the touches the back of the iPad has a rubber protection on it and won't scratch your device. I also like how you can adjust the viewing angle to fit your situation. Getting a good stand was an issue for me because I wanted the iPad to watch movies and read my comics, but I don't want to break the bank in getting one... see Element Cases Joule and you'll know what I mean. Also, the stand is perfect if you add a shell or casing. I have Handhelditems HHI iPad PadShell Crystal Clear Polycarbonate Case on my iPad and it works perfectly with this stand.

For a few bucks... I whole heartily recommend it. I'll snap a few pics and post them along with some other stands I have tried.

3. T4R06 macrumors 65816

movie - looking forward for your pics. thanks in advanced

4. MSampson macrumors member

5. moviecouple macrumors regular

Sorry I haven't posted the pics yet. Had to get to
    work early. I took them and will post when I get home tonight.

6. moviecouple macrumors regular

Sorry for the delay. Here are the photos. The first one is from Joann fabrics and it is the one I use the most. It is sturdy, non-obstructive, easy to carry, and cheap. The second one is also from Joann fabrics and it is good, but not portable. The third is one I had laying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HXGuy macrumors 68000

This first one doesn't look too bad...sort of fits the iPad. The other two look horrible. :p

[​IMG]

8. T4R06 macrumors 65816

thanks for posting pics! i really like the first one.

9. soxfanreggie macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing! I just ordered two off the JoAnn's website. I figured this wouldn't be bad to have one at home and at the office. If it is really compact, it might even make its way into the travel bag.

10. kloan macrumors regular

lol, sometimes Google can be a real PITA....

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/947937/Fellowes-Worcester-Study-Stand-Chrome/

I searched "chrome study stand" and it was the first hit. ;)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I actually just hit up JoAnn's and saw a few, I didn't realize until now that I bought the same one you did. I nearly bought the small size but the medium looked like it'd be a better idea. I did, however, have some leftover felt dots that I put under candle plates and such to protect my wood surfaces from getting scratched and applied them to the top and bottom to ensure the plastic doesn't scratch the iPad. I have no case for it at the moment.

Good find and it was $3.22 out the door.

12. T4R06 macrumors 65816

i bought the small one and it will definitely going back to joanns to get the medium.

its nice and much sturdier than the business card holder

13. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

14. StBDawg thread starter macrumors regular

15. StBDawg thread starter macrumors regular

16. kloan macrumors regular

17. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

dear lord I have been so inundated with the different cases with stands I never even thought of something so simple. This would especially be nice if I keep my Belkin Grip Vue, one expensive ass case is enough. :p

The JoAnn Fabrics in town closed and the shipping is more than the darn easel on the website. Oh well, I should be able to make it to on in the area some time. Promo Code "HPF114" Gets you 50% off one item, I could get it for $1.50 and pay $6 for shipping. :p

18. nden macrumors member

Look at my photo, and more photos here on my site

[​IMG]

If you place the ipad at the right angle, it won't touch the back of the study stand.

19. moviecouple macrumors regular

Dont think the one that I bought will scratch my iPad. The back part has a rubber coating. Plus I have a clear shell on the back of my iPad that protects it.

20. bob2222 macrumors newbie

Absolutely

Great buy, all but no costs and works perfectly. Small, compact, adjustable, weighs all but nothing, maybe 3 oz. PERFECT!!

21. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Does this have room for the charging cable when in portrait mode?

Thanks
    David