Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Noobling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
So I have a 15 inch MacBook pro and Star craft 2 runs fine but the frame rates are a bit high and it can get really hot. Ive read that if you can reduce heat and increase the battery life by reducing the frame rate. I've herd that their is a way to reduce to the frame rates by finding a file named Variables. I have not been able to find the file now and I herd that it changes location periodically. Could you guys help?

Jlpeaks

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
If you have Lion then finding the variables.txt can be a little tricker.. you need to run the following terminal command to show your library again:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

If your running an OS older than lion it's easy .. goto your library/application support/Blizzard/Starcraft 2 and the .txt should be there.

After finding your variables.txt you want to find the lines:
frameratecap=
frameratecapGlue=

and change their value to a desired fps that you don't want your computer to exceed. If these two line don't exist then you can simply add them in and it'll work just fine.

Btw.. if your running this on a macbook then it's normal for the temperature to get a little high, especially on the unibodies. You shouldn't really be worrying unless your temps frequently exceed 90 celsius. The cpu's in these computers are rated to 105 celsius.

Edit: Oh.. and if you mean heat as in how the computer is to the touch then thats also normal in unibodies.. the metal case is designed to be one big heatsink.

Mac Noobling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
If you have Lion then finding the variables.txt can be a little tricker.. you need to run the following terminal command to show your library again:

If your running an OS older than lion it's easy .. goto your library/application support/Blizzard/Starcraft 2 and the .txt should be there.

After finding your variables.txt you want to find the lines:
frameratecap=
frameratecapGlue=

and change their value to a desired fps that you don't want your computer to exceed. If these two line don't exist then you can simply add them in and it'll work just fine.

Btw.. if your running this on a macbook then it's normal for the temperature to get a little high, especially on the unibodies. You shouldn't really be worrying unless your temps frequently exceed 90 celsius. The cpu's in these computers are rated to 105 celsius.

Edit: Oh.. and if you mean heat as in how the computer is to the touch then thats also normal in unibodies.. the metal case is designed to be one big heatsink.

So I have lion and I did the first step that you said witch was to type
In to Terminals so what do i do after that? I still can't seem to find the variables folder, what do I do now?

Mac Noobling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
This is a pointless thing to do. Even if you reduce the frame rate your machine is going to get hot when playing SC2.

I understand that it could have little to no effect but I am still willing to try it out. Anyone have the answer to my previous question?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Your Library folder is in your user folder. Username/library/application support/Blizzard/Starcraft 2. But the only noticeable change you might see from capping your framerate is worse performance.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
But the only noticeable change you might see from capping your framerate is worse performance.

Not necessarily, I've done this with several games and the temperature definitely decreased. Some even have a frame rate cap built into the settings.

Mac Noobling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
So I have tried searching all of the suggested folder locations in finder and I can't find variables. I have done the terminal that you guys said too. Have I done something wrong or is the folder in a different location then most?

Jlpeaks

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Are you able to get to your application support folder?

Also you keep calling the variables.txt a folder. It is not. It's a text file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.