Star Trek 1; me 0

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by JonMPLS, May 30, 2010.

1. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Wow, a new technique to resist ripping . . . No big deal but I found it interesting.

I was just going to convert a copy of the Star Trek DVD that I purchased (Best Buy) for my personal use on my iPad.

First, I did a little research and found that they have about 99 titles on this DVD, and the correct one to rip was supposed to be #21.

It seems that the manufacturer also found out about this information, and when I tried load the disc into a converter program (I tried my copy of iSkysoft and also Wondershare) there was a series of titles to choose from, but they were not simply sequential numbers. To make it worse, the titles are different in iSkysoft and Wondershare!)

Again, no big deal ;) but I did find it an interesting technique.

2. The General macrumors 601

Go ahead and delete iSkysoft and Wondershare from your computer. Get a real DVD ripping program at is free and doesn't have a team of spammers on every forum of the Internet.

Get Handbrake.

3. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

I was not able to rip this, and a few other Sony DVDs with Mactheripper, Mac DVDRipper Pro, Fairmount etc; but AnyDVD on Windows managed it

It is Sony's ARccOS protection I believe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection

I've been told MRP and MDRP should be able to rip them, but they both just locked up and/or quit for me

4. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

I use handbrake most of the time.

For aXXo rips (700MB) I use DVD Decrypter and AutoGK.

5. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks-- DOH! I should have went with Handbrake.

6. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Um if you're talking about the newest Star Trek movie, then I have to ask, why didn't you just do the digital download code in the box to get it via itunes? that's what I did. Worked great!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doesn't always work for people, and often they package the copies in up to five ways now..

BluRay + DVD, BluRay + DVD + Digital, BluRay, DVD, DVD + Digital...

So it's possible you end up not buying the one with the free digital download.

Recently I purchased Sherlock Holmes + DVD + Digital Copy (purposely so that I had a digital copy). Loaded it into my computer, opened iTunes & inputted my code. Only for it to tell me that it had to be downloaded from UK Itunes (I'm in Ireland) even though the discs & box were all emblazoned with the Irish Film Board Ratings etc... So I paid extra and got kicked in the nads for doing so. Ended up having to rip the DVD instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes: