Star Trek 3 Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Remember the scene in star trek 3 when the Klingons board the enterprise and the computer is counting down the self destruct? Were the klingons just stupid or when they speak is it supposed to be in klingon and they just didn't understand the English countdown.

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

<nerd>
    Yes, the rank and file Klingons probably didn't speak much, if any, other languages. Although, you will recall that the Christopher Lloyd Klingon was able to speak English (talking to Kirk et al), so it's likely that he understood what was going on, which is why he yelled at them to get off the Enterprise.
    </nerd>

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe they didn't understand the "New Math"??

In which case I am with them on that.

(TRANSLATION: I vaguely remember the episode, but unless you post a viable link you're on your own.)

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You miss the part where he calls over to his captain and says THE SHIP IS EMPTY, the computer is the only thing speaking.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Nice. Thanks. :D

Christopher Lloyd is amazing.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

This is probably the best explanation. Although I always wondered why he didn't try to transport them out. Screaming at them to get out really wasn't going to do anything with just a few seconds to spare, but perhaps he could have gotten a lock and transported them back in time.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If I was the captain I would have a transporter lock on all away teams until I knew that they were safe.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

no kiddin'.....

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I haven't had this big a dose of vitamin nerd since my last Magic tournament...

IIRC, his orders were to send every available man over to capture the ship, and that his ultimate plan was to ditch his bird of prey once he took Enterprise. Other than himself and the one other officer that gets taken prisoner, there probably wasn't anybody left on board.

If you really want to get into it, it's odd that he would want them to get off in any event. Granted, ST III was well before we really got the fleshing out of Klingon culture, namely in TNG and DS9, but given the emphasis placed on dying in the line of duty and all that, you might think in a way, he'd be fine with them dying the way they did.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Excellent point, it would be damn cowardly to flee. Although is there any honor in being killed by such a trap? One could probably argue that being killed by means of a devious self-destruct is rather dishonorable.

Ahhh, I'm letting my nerd hang out aren't I.....

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

In addition to what CorvusCamenarum said, remember that the Klingon contacted the bird of prey almost immediately after getting on the bridge. He might have just heard a voice, not the numbers counting down, until he held the communicator close to the terminal.

Oh I think we've all got some targ showing in this thread.