Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Wineserver crashes on launching STO. Every so often, VMMAP needs to overwrite something causing everything to freeze and thus needs to be force quit. The launcher has to be force quit every single time, which generates a crash report. I've sent, quite literally, HUNDREDS of crash reports on this issue and no help from anywhere.

It is very frustrating. Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone have "the answer"? If you need a crash report, let me know and I'll copy/paste one. However, in the interests of not cluttering, I did not include one in the OP.

I really love this game, but the crashy nature of it is preventing me from playing effectively. :(

Mac mini mid-2011 w/Radeon 8GB 10.11

Last edited:
Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Wineserver crashes on launching STO. Every so often, VMMAP needs to overwrite something causing everything to freeze and thus needs to be force quit. The launcher has to be force quit every single time. I've sent, quite literally, HUNDREDS of crash reports on this issue and no help from anywhere.

It is very frustrating. Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone have "the answer"? If you need a crash report, let me know and I'll copy/paste one. However, in the interests of not cluttering, I did not include one in the OP.

I really love this game, but the crashy nature of it is preventing me from playing effectively. :(

Mac mini mid-2011 w/Radeon 8GB 10.11

I removed it from steam..unplayable due to freezing

LBurkhill

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
Just stumbled upon this now as I had the same issue! Did some digging around on a few forums and I think I've found a workaround...

Although not the best, if you load STO up in safe mode (have a look in the launcher options menu) change the resolution to a lower setting. This worked for me after crashing every time I tried to play.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.