Star Trek online

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dr. McKay, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Anyone playing Star Trek online in bootcamp ?
    As a Trekkie, I'm looking forward to playing it, and seeing it's going to be free very soon, there's really no reason not to play it.

Unless you tell me it's absolute rubbish ?

2. Mercury macrumors regular

I have a lifetime subscription to Star Trek Online. I enjoy it very much, but I'm waiting for a couple more features before I go back to playing it full-time. I played WoW for several years, but I put a lot more time into Star Trek Online than I ever did in WoW or City of Heroes.

3. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it's not bad then. How do you feel now that STO is going to be free ?

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

The free version and a subscription version are not totally the same.. there are a lot of benefits to being a paying customer or a lifetime customer.

I've always played the game in OSX, not Windows...
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=76799

can be a bit buggy at times, but beats having to run Windows.

5. Northwestern macrumors regular

I read the game will be Free 2 Play by the end of the year. Then I might play it. The last MMO I played was Guild Wars. It runs in Mac OS X.

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

the second it comes free2play I'll be all over ST:O, arm phasers and load quantum torpedoes :cool:

7. Nik73 macrumors regular

I've played STO for a month or two here or there. It looks really nice now and certainly has the star trek feel, but I found the missions to be soooooo repetitive, ie fly to a system and scan/destroy stuff then beam down to the planet and scan/shoot stuff.

I know most MMOs are the same, but I was hoping the missions would have some of the clever story lines of the shows.

8. doh123 macrumors 65816

some do.. there are several that have good story lines... but the overwhelming majority are pretty boring, and you get in the habit of clicking through cuz its so boring, that when a good one comes along, you miss out and don't even know it.

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

There is a wineskin wrapper ofut that will let you play OSx. I used it while playing this game for about a week... then I got bored of it :)