Star Trek TNG question.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The General, Apr 30, 2007.

1. The General macrumors 601

Does anybody know if Star Trek The Next Generation was shot on film? And if so, is it a possibility that they might remaster the TV show for HD formats such as HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray? I would be happy with just syndication on HD TV stations, but I'd like to learn more about this. The only thing I can seem to find on the internet about this is on Wikipedia where it says "The filming negatives were scanned in a straight-to-video device." but not being in the business... I'm not quite sure what that means. :confused:

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It was shot on film and transferred to video, meaning the final version is in video. That means it lost quality in the transfer. I suppose they could try to enhance it digitally, but it won't make much of a difference.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If IMDB is to be believed (it's not perfect, but it's more reliable than Wackypedia), they did originally get it on 35mm film. If they still have that, they can make it all purdy for the new TVs.

4. The General thread starter macrumors 601

So does that mean it was shot on film, but the CGI was done after they transferred it to 480i video?

Maybe they can just redo all the CGI. :)

I would pay top dollar for a set of HD-DVD's/Blu-Ray Discs like that. :D

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Yeah, they did the editing in video. I'm not sure if re-doing the cgi would help that much, it may make the rest look weird.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

OTOH, they've gone to the trouble to add all kinds of details to the older series, so it could be done if they see adequate buckage coming from it.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

You know what's funny? I'm doing a little remaster of the TNG episode, The Best of Both Worlds, in my spare time. It still has a long way to go, since it's just a concept at this point, but check it out.

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Kind of along this vein of thought, does anyone know if the remastered original Star Trek series will be available in a better quality format ever? I know they're completely redoing parts of it, and cleaning it up a bunch, but they can't replace the actors, so...

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I saw your video, that's pretty cool, wish I could see a higher res version.

What's involved with remastering? Do you import the video by some means, then go through each frame and modify certain parts, then export the video to a file? sounds like a lot of work!

10. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. And yes, it's a helluva lotta work, but it's fun.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Eh? It was among the finest sitcoms of its era, and besides, Adam West was too busy on other projects to help out.