Star Trek

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RoboCop001, Jan 21, 2008.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I went to see Cloverfield yesterday.

Unfortunately we had to leave because my friend was getting nauseous from all the camera movement. I didn't get sick, but it was kind of annoying because I couldn't really see what was going on lol

Anyway.... I had a really big nerd moment when the Star Trek teaser came on lol

http://www.paramount.com/startrek/

I admit! Yes.... I had a very nerdy reaction. It went something like....

[Paramount logo]
    "Hmm.... paramount, eh?"
    [welders and talk about space]
    "....hmmmmmm......"
    [text: The Future Begins]
    "wait a minute... it's star trek!"
    [shows the front of the ship and Nimoy saying "Space the final frontier"]
    "YEAH! AWESOME! :D!"
    Then my friend looks to me and she says...
    "You're such a nerd, lol"

Yeah, it put a big smile on my face haha...

I heard whispers of excitement too. I wasn't the only one lol
    Apparently other theatres had clapping and cheering haha...

Anyway, I hope it's a good movie. It certainly seems like it's going to have a darker sci-fi tone to it.

What does everyone else think?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I've known for a while that the new Star Trek movie is coming from hearing about it online, though I haven't watched any teasers/previews for it yet. It'll be interesting to say the least...sort of weird seeing characters played by really different actors, so we'll see how that goes.

But given that I've watched all of TNG, VOY, DS9 and 3/4 of Enterprise in order on DVD (in addition to all the many times on TV, especially TNG) and seen all the movies repeatedly, I'm just happy for there to be anything new in the Star Trek universe. Once I finish Enterprise I guess I'm onto the original series and the animated version, but then I might actually have to find something else to obsessively watch from Netflix. Battlestar Gallactica perhaps?

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

As a Star Trek fan from way back, and a Sci-Fi fan in general, I say that any Star Trek movie is worth seeing. So what if it isn't the greatest thing since "The Original Series" or "The Next Generation". I'm sure it will be a good movie.

Besides with all the talk about following the "canon" and keeping true with the previous series and shows, I think it will be great...

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If you haven't gotten into Battlestar, I highly recommend it. I wated the original back in the day, and have throughly enjoyed the new series. If you want some extra background, check out the podcasts or bonus material on the DVD's. You can't believe how much thought and effort Ron Moore and his crew put into these shows.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

There's a teaser out??? Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod.

*runs off to find it*

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sci-fi doesn't get much better than BSG - definitely watch it.

As for the new Trek movie, I'm anxious to see more on it as well. I hope they do a good job on it.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Doctor Who might be worth a look – with 738 episodes to date spanning nearly 45 years and a new series starting in a couple of months, there should be enough there to keep you occupied for a while. ;)

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I guess you mean the original series. The remake was ruined by:
    Hyperactive NYPD Blue style attention deficient camera work.
    &
    The horrendous overuse of the word "Frack" and variants of.

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

Some of us went to the opening showing of Cloverfield because of the Star Trek teaser. It was announced months ago that the first teaser was going to be released with Cloverfield.

Yes, Leonard Nimoy is the only original actor returning in this movie (as the older Spock). And the heart of the story takes place around the time that the Enterprise was handed off from Captain Pike to Captain Kirk (Spock is the only person known to have served under both captains), which puts this movie (in the Star Trek timeline) between the first and second Star Trek pilot episodes.

10. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Can you guess which Star Trek movie my username comes from?

11. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol sounds kind of familiar but I have no idea.

For those looking for the teaser, the link in my original post is where to view it.

http://www.paramount.com/startrek/

You can even download it in HD lol

There's also this curious website...
    http://www.ncc-1701.com

If you drag the white lines that are on the green things below each video, you can clear up the video so it's not staticy. Nothing happens when you get all 3 of them though, maybe when the 4th appears?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I like Star Trek, but I'm frankly perplexed that we keep trying to wring new ideas out of that franchise, while the Babylon 5 universe, at least as good as Trek, is ignored by Hollywood like some red-haired stepchild.

13. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

I never really got into B5 for some reason. hmm...

But yeah, I think this isn't just a prequel. I think it's supposed to kind of reboot the franchise.

I'll give anything a chance. Even if it's different, that's good too. It can't always be 100% the same. I mean, if you want something like the Original Series, watch that :) But it's always interesting to see new takes on the concept, as long as the core of what Star Trek is remains the same. And that is basically a positive view of the future.

14. RacerX macrumors 65832

Reboot isn't a welcome word in the Star Trek community... most of us don't think Star Trek needs a reboot, it just needed to boot those people that ran it aground over the last few years.

Besides, anyone who wanted something that was Star Trek-like but not Star Trek need only turn to the place where most of Star Trek's best ideas came from... Forbidden Planet. That property has all of what was best in Trek without any of the baggage.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Star Trek, eh? Well I thought DS9 was good, but that's supposed to be heresy to those who worship his Roddenbury-ness.

So i watch the new BSG instead.

16. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Well, so many people have suggested BSG (including the new version) that I think it's a given I'll have to watch it. Friends of mine like B5 and Doctor Who, so those are definite possibilities. For me, I love Sci Fi, but I also love the Star Trek universe/lore even more. So I'll take anything Star Trek, even sub-par, over good non-Star Trek. But excellent non-Star Trek is fine too. :)

17. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Personally, I grew up on TNG, so I love it in terms of nostalgia most of all. But I actually think DS9 is the best series story-wise, and I have to say I was always disinterested in Enterprise, but now that I'm into it, I actually really like it. There's something wonderfully appealing about seeing the early days of Starfleet unfolding and having things not be so far off from present day. And it has the same format as DS9 as it gets later in the series, where it's just a constant continuing story, instead of episode-of-the-week.

I was never a big original series fan, but I think as my like of ST has evolved, it's more appealing to me, so I do intend to watch all of them after Enterprise (which I'll likely finish within a couple weeks at the rate I've been going). So I'm probably as heretical as it gets, since the less connected to Roddenberry the series was, the more I've so far like it I think...

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That would be Nemesis.

Agreed, although I'd say Babylon 5 had much better continuity than Star Trek, probably because the whole storyline (the original 5 seasons anyway) was thought out well in advance by the original creator. Most ST episodes, on the other hand, by and large exist in a vacuum.

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hmm. Nice trailer.

But the Bad Robot logo confused me. I started thinking I was watching a trailer for an animated film, especially as the welder in the next scene seemed to be wearing the same goggles as in the robot logo.

And in the actual welding scene, he was moving the electric arc welding rod FAR too fast for it to be real welding. That weld would fail any quality inspection. (I might be a nerd but I still spent a year doing oxy acty and arc welding. That's a real man's job)

Did anyone notice that in the shot of the front of the NC-1701, they appeared to be fitting ducted turbo-prop engines to the Enterprise? Hmm. Very useful in outer space I'm sure.

TV people just love their big slowly rotating fans with big lights behind them don't they?

xxT

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love Star Trek. Can't wait to see the new movie. BSG is good and so is the new Terminator series.

21. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm... that's true. And I understand your point about it not needing a reboot. I actually kind if wish they wouldn't, but I'm not totally against it either. Just because I give everything a chance, fresh takes are always interesting.

Although I think it's probably the easiest way of getting it back on its feet again. Besides... they couldn't really duplicate what it was in the 60s because it was a reflection of the times. The new trek will reflect today.

I'm just glad Rick Berman isn't involved. He's pretty much responsible for all of the madness.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Frack you, the new BSG is great! :p ;) :D Great writing and storylines... :cool:

And yes, Doctor Who is excellent as well - I have every episode in fact (apart from the lost ones) totally about 180 GBs worth of AVIs. :eek:

23. Queso macrumors G4

I love the new BSG, but I'm also looking forward to this new Trek film. I hope it goes right back to the 60s camp style of Trek. All that "what is this Earth thing you call kissing?" stuff and every woman in the universe falling in love with Kirk amongst the polystyrene rocks was FANTASTIC!!! Shame they had to ruin it when Capt. Picard and Co. disappeared at warp factor 7 right up their own backsides :(

Oh yeah B5 was damn good too. The Coming Of Shadows was by far the best episode :)

24. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wish BSG would air now. April! April is so far away!

25. astrostu macrumors 6502

I think the guy they cast for Bones should be interesting (Karl Urban). I've started to re-watch the series Xena where the actor plays both Cupid (Eros) and Caesar. He's a decent actor but his manner - at least as those characters - is much more like a young Spock than McCoy.