Star Wars III to open at Cannes

munkle

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
From London Today

eleveneastgate said:
The Cannes Film Festival is going to the dark side. After months of negotiations between George Lucas and festival officials, Star Wars: Episode III - The Revenge Of The Sith will open the festival in the South of France in May.

It's hoped that Ewan McGregor, who plays the young Obi-Wan Kenobi, will attend, although he'll be about to open in Michael Grandage's new London stage version of Guys And Dolls at the Piccadilly Theatre.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Aha!

Cool. I've never seen any of the movies, so I guess come May I'll have finished my exams, and will be up for a 6-movie marathon. I'll probably be one of very few people with no exposure to the last 3 able to do it :D

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
munkle said:
Cue lots of French (and other nationality) journalists guffawing at stiilted dialogue, crazy characters and some artificial looking special effects.

Although I will go to see it when it comes out. Ya know. Just to see how it ends... :rolleyes:

munkle

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
MOFS said:
Cue lots of French (and other nationality) journalists guffawing at stiilted dialogue, crazy characters and some artificial looking special effects.

Although I will go to see it when it comes out. Ya know. Just to see how it ends... :rolleyes:
I know I should have learnt from the disappoint of the last two but the trailer has got me pretty excited.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would prefer to see Star Wars III premiere in the US. This is just very disappointing in my opinion. :(

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
wdlove said:
I would prefer to see Star Wars III premiere in the US. This is just very disappointing in my opinion. :(
Why? a lot of the biggest movie festivals are outside US and Lucas should be very happy that they allowed his movie to screen there.

I just hope that this time Lucas give credit where credit is due... A lot of the architecture they CGed in SW was inspired (copied) from real building but they never mentioned it anywhere... sorry cant find the link ;-S

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This might mean they're expecting an OK reception for the movie.

If it was truly awful, then I doubt they'd be pushing for a Cannes premiere – the world's media is there, just waiting to put the boot in.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Random bit of trivia: The lightsaber that Obi-Wan will use in this movie, will be the same as the one in Star Wars (1977).

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
wdlove said:
I'm also disappointed. Star Wars will likely dominate press coverage of the festival, to the detriment of more deserving films.

I don't have a problem with Star Wars (aside from the obvious) but Cannes just isn't the place for the premiere.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I can't wait. i was really hoping that they would release the second trailer at Sundance. Does anyone know when the next trailer comes out? You know the one H.264 was supposed to show off at MWSF. :D

AnewMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
The Northern Plains of OK!
unfaded said:
...uh, who cares what country it premieres in? Doesn't it matter about a million times more if it's good or bad?

As long as the ending doesn't get spoiled before it opens here, I am fine with it. I just hope it is good, please George, dont let me regret my 10 bucks :eek:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
AnewMac said:
As long as the ending doesn't get spoiled before it opens here, I am fine with it. I just hope it is good, please George, dont let me regret my 10 bucks :eek:
I think I know the ending - Episodes 4 - 6 kinda give it away! Just to check brap - I'm gonna right something below just to make sure you don't find out the surprise (although I'd recommend you watch 4 - 6 - Lost Hope to Return of the Jedi - to get the best experience from the films)! Anyway - spoiler check!

R2-D2: Luke, I am your father...

Just highlight away to get the (non)-spoiler! Ish.

EDIT: Actually, brap. Dn't highlight it. Probably ruins the whole trilogy for you.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
AnewMac said:
I think I know the ending - Episodes 4 - 6 kinda give it away! Just to check mudbug - I'm gonna right something below just to make sure you don't find out the surprise (although I'd recommend you watch 4 - 6 - Lost Hope to Return of the Jedi - to get the best experience from the films)! Anyway - spoiler check!

R2-D2: Luke, I am your father...

Just highlight away to get the (non)-spoiler! Ish.

EDIT: Actually, brap. Dn't highlight it. Probably ruins the whole trilogy for you.

EDIT EDIT: Aw dammit. Double post. Can some mod delete this for me? Cheers :rolleyes:

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
LimitedEdition said:
I don't think it's really appropriate to launch it there. It is big enough to have it's own dedicated launch.
If it's as bad as the last two movies, I don't think it's appropriate to release the movie at all. :p

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
bummer

I think that this sucks, but not bc it won't be in the US first.

It sucks for taking attention away from real cinema.

Episode 1 and 2 were horrible in my opinion. They relied on CG too much, and IMO the acting was horrible, even though the actors are great in other films. I saw EP 1 in the theater, but waited for EP 2 to come on cable. Sure the story is great but I bet the Books were better. The acting can't compare to Luke, Han, and Lea.

Am I the only one that thinks that the special effects (light sabre, lazers, and spacecraft) look more realistic in the originally 3 films? The models (in the old) look better than the CG (in the new.)?

I will see this film, but I am in no rush.

There will be much better films, unfortunately overlooked, at Cannes.