Star Wars rip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mugs, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hey, I was ripping the Star Wars episode 4, 5 and 6 with Mac the Ripper, then converting them with Handbrake. Unfortunately once I had finished it, I realised that the audio commentary was from the DVD was on the mp4 instead of the proper audio!!! Also on another film I did, it ended up in FRENCH!!!! Is there a way to change this? Thanks a lot.

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

IN handbrake when you're encoding to MP4 there are pop-up menus for audio and subtitle tracks under the Audio and Subtitle tab. Select the correct one and you're all set.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If you were ripping from the DVD then you will need to rip them again. I've always copied and converted with HandBrake. There's an iPhone/iPod Touch setting and it's pretty much select the source and the iPhone/iPod setting and it does everything on its own. That's what I've done with the entire set of DVDs for Star Wars. I've never used the Mac The Ripper program, so I'm not sure how the language got switched, unless it was downloaded from the internet. Be careful with those internet downloads like Limewire...:(

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I thought you might be posting Star Wars RIP (Rest In Peace). I thought you might have seen that awful Clone Wars film. :D

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely a "Kiddie Movie" IMHO, but I have to buy the DVD for the Grandson when it comes out...:eek:

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

"Must... keep... franchise... going... need... more... money..." - George Lucas on Star Wars: The Clone Wars

;)

7. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

besides episode III, which star wars movies weren't kiddy movies. i take each one of them for what they were. IMO they were all good. empire was the best and i think Ep III ranks right there with EP IV. ROTJ? c'mon we're talking ewoks- just as annoying as jar jar.

as for clone wars- it had everything in it that all the others had and besides the yoda/Dooku fight in EP II and yoda/palpatine fight in EP III, the light saber duels were just as good.

i for one hope they make a 100 more movies and make a billion more dollars.

sorry for straying off topic.

8. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

hahahahaha you guys are funny! Well I'll give that a go in handbrake and this time I wont use Mac the Ripper. And just so you can rest easy these are the actually DVD's I'm using not some crappy download!!! :D Well I suppose there is one thing left to say. . . . Star Wars. . . R.I.P :p Thanks

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Aidez-moi Kenobi Obi-Wan. Vous êtes mon seul espoir.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

a

Le LOL

11. k'five macrumors member

Well now that the MTR Audio issue has been solved, I'll add:

Yeah, I hoped to see 7,8, & 9 too, but I really wish they'd have at least made 1, 2 & 3 using models, film, real effects, and congruent set & prop design themes. The best CGI 5 years on always looks like a cheap cartoon, and it makes little visual sense to start at episode I and watch everything get sleek and futuristic and typically sci-fi channel looking, and then bam, suddenly we're "long long ago" in a galaxy far far away in a bold, realistic, classic film.

Ewoks? JarJar? What? Ewoks were just woodsy little guys that behaved not unlike monkeys, and didn't even speak. JarJar was a loud, clumsy, idiotic CGI Jamaican complete with fart jokes, google-eyes and that stupid falsetto voice every sixth-grade kid does for three weeks until someone punches them hard enough.

I thought about making a JarJar-less edit of Episode I in FCP, & "aging" the film, adding some graininess and tweaking levelling to better match the original three. But it's a lot of work...

12. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

"yub yub"
    Wicket W. Warrick

13. alFR macrumors 68020

If you've still got the MTR rips on your hard disc you don't need to start again from scratch - just set Handbrake going encoding them again but select the right audio track this time. Saves the time to re-rip them.

14. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Ja. Also, the copy protection on Star Wars DVDs is pretty fierce and Handbrake's decryption is pretty rudimentary, so you probably won't have a choice.

15. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

I'll have to re-rip them because I deleted them but oh well. I'd love to see 7,8 and 9 as well but only if they made them properly and not all CGI!! :rolleyes:

16. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Ow! You're making my head hurt with your confusion on the 3rd movie released (Episode VI) and Episode III. First you referenced The Return of the Jedi (Episode VI) as EP III, then subsequently referenced Revenge of the Sith, correctly, as EP III. Please get your references correct. When I initially read your first sentence, I was really confused. Episode III was the darkest of all six movies, and my personal favorite, as it ties everything together.

In Episode VI, the native creatures were originally Wookies, but Lucas et al. thought that kids would be scared of them, causing loss of potential revenues. Additionally, it's easier to make toy Ewoks than toy Wookies.

We finally got to see the Wookie planet in Episode III, but I still would have preferred to have had it appear in its original location in the series, Episode VI. That being said, what's with starting in the middle, then going back to the beginning so many years later (Star Trek also, anyone?!? That latest series just destroyed the entire franchise, IMHO)?

HawaiiMacAddict

P.S. Mugs, you should use MTR first, then Handbrake. My reasoning is that MTR rips everything - all audio tracks, all extras, everything. You can later burn it to DVD with either Popcorn or Toast later, or simply use Handbrake to create an iPhone/iPod touch-friendly MP4 file. Just be careful of the selected language and subtitle tracks.

17. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha Mugs,

I agree with your desire and assessment. I would have preferred that Lucas et al. shot all nine movies in in proper succession. Don't take this the wrong way, I LOVE the six-movie series, but I would have liked the last three movies to have been included as well. Star Wars Episode IV was one of the best movies of my lifetime, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I have a problem with starting a story in the middle, then years later going back to the beginning, especially when the technology for the "beginning" is clearly that much more advanced. I would also have liked to have seen the re-emergence of the Jedi as a whole, as well as Leia's development, herself, as a Jedi. Oh well, everyone's too old now, and it's probably easier to just make a cartoon anyway.

HawaiiMacAddict

18. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i'm sorry your head hurts but,

firstly there will never be any schooling me on star wars trivia unless i'm the head master of said school. ;)

i wasn't confused with episode order and return of the jedi. there was a period after and i meant to have double space after the Ep IV reference.

now to add...

you aided in my argument that almost all the star wars movies were kiddy movies with the replacement of wookies with ewoks statement.

and despite what lucas claims, mind you i love his mind and creativity, star wars was a one shot deal. i don't care what anyone says about it. he did not have 9 scripts written for a saga when he started out. that is BS. maybe he had a thought on a whole saga but it developed into one movie - star wars. the only reason he made the other two was because he had a hit in 77 and won 6 oscars. a rerelease in 78 solidified the need for a sequel.

i'm glad he did because empire would have never been made and i wouldn't have named my first born yoda. (just kidding) me and my mom left my brother at a baby sitter and stood in line for a day and a half to see it in houston. you think MACfans are crazy.

when EP I came out i was first in line at 5AM on the day pre-sale tickets went on sale. glad i made it early but i was willing to trade my original release 2 record set of "star wars: the official soundtrack" for that first ticket.

after i saw it, i justified the better, sleeker looking ships on the fact that they were rebels by EP IV and were working with whatever junk they could find to fight with.

just to get your opinion, was there really i need to introduce Leia as Luke's sister? i mean i know she and Han spawned jedi knights in the latter "scripts" but c'mon

lucas is a genius at filmmaking but i think he might also be one of the world's best BS artists too.

p.s. i was never a treky- them guys are strange.... :p