Star Wars: The Old Republic - MBA 13" 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Help Please, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Help Please macrumors regular

I know the Air isn't intended to be a gaming machine, but I'm really interested in getting this game and was reading the games minimum system requirements earlier and was a little worried that the game might not play the best.

Obviously I would be playing under Boot Camp, considering the game is only supported on Windows.

Minimum System Requirements:
    -Disk Drive8x or better *Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.
    -Operating SystemWindows XP, Vista/7
    -ProcessorAMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better · Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or betterRAMWindows XP: 1.5GB · Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB · PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM.
    -Video Card ATI X1800 or better* · nVidia 7800 or better* · Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

I know WoW is very playable, so will SWTOR be the same do you think?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have the 13", 4GB, 1.86GHz C2D version.

2. Help Please thread starter macrumors regular

3. gman901 macrumors 6502a

It will be perfectly playable on the 2010 Air. You may need to set the settings to medium; however you should get good frame rates at the native resolution. I am playing Portal 2 at native resolution and medium settings, getting about 30+ fps on the average. I know most gamers enjoy nothing less than 60 fps; however you won't notice any hiccups on an 11 or 13" screen.

4. hooneyrob macrumors member

All I can tell you is that for the short time I owned the new Air, Civ V and Torchlight played very well. Torchlight was on high settings but the game is known for it's ability to be played on almost anything. With Civ, I had it on low settings but it still looked good. I cannot say how Civ would play on a large map after some play time though. I read the new Air played Crysis at 30FPS on low settings I reckon you'll be fine on Star Wars.

People keep saying the Air is "no gaming laptop".. This is true to a certain extent but it's ability to play Crysis at 30FPS suggests to me that, whilst gaming is not the primary use of an Air, it's capable at low settings.

Edit to say, "do a search of Youtube for MacBook Air gaming" - there's plenty of FPS footage which looks good to me.. And by the way, some reckon the 2010 GPU is faster than the new Air's integrated..

5. Help Please thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the insight! I was considering getting a 2010 MacBook Pro 15", if many thought that the game wouldn't play well, but at this point in time, I think I'll stick with the Air and see how it handles the game.

6. Pascual macrumors newbie

This question is not really answerable until the game is out. I was in one of the recent beta tests and while it didn't run great on my main gaming machine it was a beta and can only get better.

The thing to remember with MMOs is that the amount of people in a zone can greatly affect your performance

7. Richardya macrumors newbie

I have a 13 inch air basic and wonder the same thing. I was told by someone in beta that it works adequately. I wonder if this is part of the NDA or outside of it.

8. Apok macrumors regular

Im pretty sure it wont run unless you are able to run Windows in one of the various manners. I was invited for a play test this weekend, and Im pretty sure there is no way I can fit windows, the game client and all of my stuff on my HD. Gonna have to see if a friend has a laptop I can borrow.