Starbuck Question?

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
How the heck do you pronounce Macchiatto?!?!? Everytime I order one I get told a different way to say it. I'm at the stage now where I just point and say "the caramel thing" :)

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
max_altitude said:
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced mac-i-are-toe.

Why is this posted in the Current Events Forum?
Thanks....Didn't realise I posted it in Current Events sorry. Too many tabs open!

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dynamicv said:
Mack-ee-ah-toe in Italy. And they should know :cool:
thats the way i say it too. and i believe its correct.

edit: actually... Mach-ee-ah-toe is how i say it.

Comment

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
PlaceofDis said:
edit: actuall... Mach-ee-ah-toe is how i say it.
That's wrong. In Italian, the english "ch" sound comes when an e or an i directly follow a c, or sometimes after an apostrophe (e.g. C'e or amici). So for your pronouciation to work, macchiato would have to be spelt without the h after the second c.

In the meantime, a c followed by an h in Italian is pronounced similar to the English "k".

Just as a side note, "Latte Macchiato" means "Stained Milk". They tend to call the drink that in Italy rather than the Starbucks "Caffe Macchiato". Stained Coffee doesn't make much sense ;)

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dynamicv said:
That's wrong. In Italian, the english "ch" sound comes when an e or an i directly follow a c, or sometimes after an apostrophe (e.g. C'e or amici). So for your pronouciation to work, macchiato would have to be spelt without the h after the second c.

In the meantime, a c followed by an h in Italian is pronounced similar to the English "k".

Just as a side note, "Latte Macchiato" means "Stained Milk". They tend to call the drink that in Italy rather than the Starbucks "Caffe Macchiato". Stained Coffee doesn't make much sense ;)
i think we're both confusing each other due to the stresses and such being left out. i wrote "Mach" because is pronounce it as in Mach 3 because i took your Mack to be more like a Mack Truck sound. ::shrug::

Comment

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I've been to way more than enough starbucks (there are only 52 I actually counted) to be able to firmly tell you that it's pronounced mah-ki-aht-toe

Comment

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
PlaceofDis said:
i think we're both confusing each other due to the stresses and such being left out. i wrote "Mach" because is pronounce it as in Mach 3 because i took your Mack to be more like a Mack Truck sound. ::shrug::
Ah okay. I thought you were being all phonetic. Sorry :)
Hummer said:
I've been to way more than enough starbucks (there are only 52 I actually counted) to be able to firmly tell you that it's pronounced mah-ki-aht-toe
All together now.

"Macchiato. Mahcchiato. Macchiato. Mahcchiato. Let's call the whole thing off."

:D

Comment

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
PlaceofDis said:
Hmm, good point, is it more of mack/hack/sack or more mock/hawk/sock ?

Comment

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
PlaceofDis said:
Something just occurred to me. You say Mach (as in Mach 3) like Mark don't you?

I say Mach like "Mack", which is why I thought you meant something similar to "Match". No wonder we're confused. :D

Damn English languages :p

But it's definitely like "Mack" in Macchiato. It's an Italian word, therefore the Italians have it right.

Comment

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
dynamicv said:
Mack-ee-ah-toe in Italy. And they should know :cool:
Thats how i say it and i had no problems with it. I would recommend the Ca-ra-mel Mack-ee-ah-toe.

Comment

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Comment

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
Hummer said:
That's also how I say it... I believe that is also the correct italian pronunciation of the word.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.