Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Any idea on where the disconnect is on why this app (along with many others) isn't available from the App store in Canada? Is it Apple? Starbucks? Doesnt make a heck of a lot of sense that it wouldn't be available north of the border.

Well, I'm overseas right now, and I can tell you that the "find starbucks near me" feature that is in the MyStarbucks works just fine. So, its probably just that the apps haven't been put in the different international App Stores. So, there is really no reason why the MyStarbucks app couldn't be in every App Store that has Starbucks in them (although language support for each country might be an issue). For the Starbucks Card Mobile app, I would think that would only become available where the Starbucks Card is available.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
I downloaded this yesterday and it does work for finding UK stores. The drinks and food options don't really apply for the UK but it's a pretty smart looking app I thought.

really. hm. I'm in Prague right now and it works for finding stores here. I would think that the UK would work as well.

And, yea, thats the other thing is that the drink menus & food menus are sometimes different from country-to-country ... and sometimes the language is different as well. That is maybe why they aren't putting it in every App Store (at least not yet).

Starbucks Card Mobile could potentially work in Canada, UK, & Ireland as well. Perhaps Japan too.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Personally I like the myStarbuscks app. It works great here in Florida and I like the fact that I can see what the menus are in the stores I frequent most. I also like the ability to save my drinks, so that when I try something new, and really like it I can enter in the way it was ordered for the future.

In regards to the Mobile App card, I also like that too. It's an easy way to see what the balance of my card is. I do keep track of my balance using Pocket Money already, but this app is a good way for me to know what is on Starbuck's records. I also like the ability to reload the card right from the app whenever I want. I've had no problems reloading the card using the app and I did get the $5 credited to my account already.

I don't visit a Starbucks on a regular basis, but I do like having the card handy. Besides the rewards I just like to have the convenience of having the card and using that to pay for the drinks or purchases. It's also an easy way for me to budget my Starbucks purchases.

Since the Payment via iPhone is in a test stage in a very few locations, I can see why they created the two different apps. I do agree that it would be better if the functionality of both apps were in one app. Hopefully if the payment method goes to all the stores thetwo apps can be merged in the future. For now, I'm happy with having both apps.

ShannaSchueller

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Lulz Barista's must hate you ;). My orders are never very complex. Vanilla Frappuccino w/ extra whip plz

I am a member of some communities on livejournal that have sbux baristas and can tell you they hate people ordering frappuccinos.

Nothing against you; i don't work at a sbux and i like the fraps too. ;)

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
really. hm. I'm in Prague right now and it works for finding stores here. I would think that the UK would work as well.

No I said it does work in the UK for finding stores. :)

Starbucks Card Mobile could potentially work in Canada, UK, & Ireland as well. Perhaps Japan too.

Doesn't work currently. Needs a card that's been registered in the USA.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Ah okay, I see. Must have misread that.

The Starbucks Card Mobile doesn't work for me even, as I can't login!!

boyreinvented

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
Kent, UK
US-centric

It's frustrating when articles like this make no mention that this is US only. There is an entire world out here and just assuming that everyone who reads the site is in the US is frankly rather irritating! Not to mention how it plays up to the stereotype!

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Do you have an account set up on http://www.starbucks.com/card ?
If not, then you need to set one up, then at that time, you could log in.

Yes, I do. I have had one for a long time.
I get the error that is the same as the screenshot another user posted here.
And then, if I try to simply add my card, it says something like "you already have an online logon, so please logon" ... but of course, I am unable to login.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
It's frustrating when articles like this make no mention that this is US only. There is an entire world out here and just assuming that everyone who reads the site is in the US is frankly rather irritating! Not to mention how it plays up to the stereotype!

To be fair, it was a WSJ article, and Starbucks is an American company. I'm sure there are articles in the Times of London or BBC which don't specify whether something is available in different places.

But both apps should be available in the UK. There are plenty of Starbucks in the UK, and the Starbucks Card is used there as well. Maybe Starbucks wants to hold off and customize the menus for each country.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
I'm in Canada (Calgary FYI), and I managed to get the app using a walkaround U.S. account. This app should be in the Canadian store soon and I'm basing it on the fact that the app is fully functional here. The store locator and store details, phone numbers and such all appear for Canadian locations. It even says 'Postal code/zip code' in the location search field which suggests it'll be in other areas soon.

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Is there an app that finds interesting, unique, non-corporate, anti-mediocrity?

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Yes, I do. I have had one for a long time.
I get the error that is the same as the screenshot another user posted here.
And then, if I try to simply add my card, it says something like "you already have an online logon, so please logon" ... but of course, I am unable to login.

About the login issue:

I called the Starbucks card line (after writing to them online 2 times and never hearing back). They said this is a known issue that they are working on. They also quickly mentioned that it has something to do with online accounts that have auto-reload setup. I think its pretty bad when some of the more loyal customers can't even use the app.:rolleyes:

businessgo

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Don't think it's available in the UK as yet. Suppose they will make a decision after testing it out on the US soil.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
You know what would make Starbuck Apps even more interesting??? The ability to drink virtual coffee like that stupid iBeer app. LOL

I guesss they didnt want to include an ordering menu because people could be placing hundreds of fake orders. lol. Make it a virtual order and we'll drink a virtual coffee like that useless ibeer app. :D

The Wall Street Journal reported on two new Starbucks apps. The first one is called myStarbucks that helps you find stores and provides menu information and lets you "design" a drink. They are testing another one in the Seattle area that lets you use your iPhone as your Starbucks card. It's called Starbucks Card Mobile. No ordering functionality mentioned.

Edit: I just tried this out and it's actually kind of fun to browse their coffees and drink options. I always feel so rushed when I'm in their store.

Here's the link to the article.

From the MyStarbucks iTunes description:

Finally, the official iPhone application from Starbucks! Want to find a store that’s open, with a drive through? Now you can do that and more with myStarbucks. Explore our whole bean coffees, find nutrition information, and build your own perfect drinks. Want to share? You can send your drink to friends by email, SMS, or directly to their iPhone or iPod® touch.

FEATURES
• Store Locator: Display the closest stores, directions, store hours and amenities—find stores with a drive through, oven warmed food, and more!
• Drink Builder: Create and share your perfect Starbucks® beverages
• Food Menu: Browse the menu and see detailed nutritional info and ingredients
• Coffee Menu: Explore every Starbucks® whole bean coffee
• myStarbucks: Save all of your favorites for quick recall and sharing

And this is just version 1.0 – we will be adding new and exciting features in future releases. Want to join the conversation? Go to http://www.mystarbucksidea.com to contribute your opinion on what Starbucks should do next.

Would you like to keep track of your Starbucks Card balance on the go? Download the Starbucks Card Mobile app on the App Store. Just use the “Other Apps” link below.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.