Starbucks: Free Wi-Fi at 6,700 US sites

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, Starbucks. Spending so much time modifying their wireless service and so little time making better coffee. :p

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This'll be nice while it lasts (i.e. before they go back to a subscription model on account of people abusing the service).

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. Don't expect them to get it though.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

wifi is everywhere, it's the java that matters...

+1

Peets and parking outside a Comfort Inn FTW! :)

6. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

That's why you should ONLY go there of the overpriced iced tea's and stale sandwiches with a smile. :D

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This will make me spend $5 bucks on a cup of coffee sub par coffee that is too hot rather than 25¢ to make it myself with better beans, the strength I like, at a reasonable temperature with all the ingredients I want.:rolleyes:

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Starbucks is good in a pinch but the wifi there has been free to me for years due to have an ATT internet account. The thing I hated about those things is how big of a pain in the ass it is to log into the system and allow me to use it. Normally more trouble than it was worth. I would just get my coffee and go.

I know with my blackberry which is with AT&T it logs right into star bucks wifi but with my iPod touch it was requiring a log in. That is just a month or so ago.

9. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Thats cool. My aunt always takes us there. So that will distract me from her and my sisters girl talk :rolleyes:.
    I'm at a comfort inn right now! You're probably slowin' down my internet! :p

10. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Thank god! I'm so sick of answering the "how do you connect to the wifi" or "do you have wifi" questions! The only good thing is when someone asks and is rude. We tell them they have to call AT&T since its AT&T wifi, I've done that more than once:D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've always had free WiFi at Starbucks in Canada and the US. Just take one of their free customer cards, register the card at the Starbucks website (which anyone has automatic access to if they're inside a Starbucks), and use the card number at the back. You only need to do it once and keep the card. It's fine, since it's free and it's internet.

They've been offering free internet for ages. Now it's just easier to access if/when someone is too confused, too busy, or too lazy.

There's no downside to this story at all for anyone who was already willing to go to Starbucks, so no need to complain. ;)

Aaaaanyway, McDonalds and McCafe in Australia offers free WiFi at every single one of their restaurants in the country, and it has saved my ass when my mobile phone signal didn't work (inland Australia), and I needed to email someone or find out info. Starbucks' coffee is around equal to the McCafé, IMO.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I prefer to spin what I'm doing as taking a pot-shot. :)

Starbucks deserves praise at a minimum for the fact that, so far, this time around, they've managed to make a decision regarding their WiFi program, roll it out to their executives so that everyone is on the same page, and release a single press release without having to make revocations and denials and claim that information was incorrectly leaked six or seven times. :)

Also in fairness, while their brewed coffee is crap, and their sweets are absurdly caloric considering how little they satiate the appetite, their non-fat, no-whip peppermint mochas are the perfect part of every Christmas season, down to the fun, holiday-ey red & green cups. :)

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've never used the Wifi at Starbucks, but I'm a long time Starbucks card holder so I've been told it would be free anyway.