Starbucks Free WiFi for iPod/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stevehp, Sep 15, 2007.

1. stevehp macrumors 6502

The apple page says this:

"As long as you have an iPod touch, an iPhone, or a computer with the latest version of iTunes, you get free Wi-Fi access to the iTunes Store and to Starbucks Now Playing content. Stroll into a participating Starbucks and you’re connected automatically."​

Now, I understand this means it's only connected to the iTunes store and nothing else, but is/will there be a hack to make the rest of the net work for free?

2. JamesC macrumors newbie

I think - the Touch will automatically connect to the starbucks wifi but then use bonjour to broadcast the data back to iTunes so you'd need to log in to use the wifi for websites

3. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

wasnt the wifi at starbucks already free for anyone with a laptop, etc.?

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

No, their wifi service is provided thru T-Mobile. To use their wifi hotspots costs $40 a month. Super cheesy.

It would be cool if Apple and Starbucks did a deal where you buy a Touch or iPhone, and get 6 months or 1 year free wifi at Starbucks. It would be a decent promo IMO

I wish there was a Panera closer to me, they have free wifi.

5. stevehp thread starter macrumors 6502

that may have worked if At&T supplied Starbucks internet.

6. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

iv been in several starbucks that supplied free wifi

7. thesdx macrumors 6502a

You have to PAY for wifi at Starbucks? How stupid. :mad:

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I've never seen free public wifi.. maybe that's a US thing that we don't have over here (a couple of local churches have open hotspots they don't mind people piggybacking off, but it's not advertised as public wifi as such).

Starbucks charge £15 a day or £85*/month for unilimted access. It's the most expensive wifi on the planet which explains why despite the amount of time I've spent in them I've never actually seen anyone use it..

One thing we do have is if you have a T-mobile phone you can use starbucks for 'only' £1.50 for 15 minutes. Still the most expensive wifi on the planet, just parcelled up into smaller chunks.

* To convert to dollars approximately double it.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I hate starbucks. The Wal*Mart of Coffee shops. Swoop in, put others under, and spread like a Virus. I have opinions on their coffee too, but this is a iPod forum now so I will leave them alone :) .

I go to Caribou (midwest chain based in Minnesota) with Free Wifi, or Dunn Bros Coffee, Free Wifi (Midwest chain also based in Minnesota). Charging for Wifi in a coffee shop is a sad, and cheap way to get money. Most all privately owned coffee shops in Minnesota also have free Wireless internet. This "free iTunes access" will not get me to go to a Starbucks. It actually makes me want to avoid them more, and (only somewhat) makes me question my loyalty to Apple (the AT&T connection is worse in my opinion)

But.. like most posts here, this is just my opinion.

10. stonedgrace macrumors member

I was at a Starbucks Thursday night with my iPhone and checked the available Wifi networks. There was the usual TMoblie but also a ATTwireless. I could connect to the ATT but could not get anywhere on the net, or my email.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I hope so. The price Starbucks charges for Wifi is stupid. I sit at coffee shops with free Wifi. Stabucks would have to offer free WiFi or a hack would have to come around for this in order for me to want to be at a Starbucks.

12. xmx250 macrumors newbie

Starbucks doesnt give free wifi????

even my local dunkin donuts gives away free wifi.(95% sure gonna doublecheck)

13. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Never realized that SB charges for internet, I just took it for granted that most coffee shops have free wifi connections. Even a couple of the non-chain coffee houses near me have this (and better coffee too). The SB feature sounded kind of cool when Steve mentioned it, but the more I think about it, I could really care less. Guess its just an other case of the JRDF at work.