Starbucks Icon in iTunes Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDriveX, Aug 2, 2008.

1. iDriveX macrumors member

Has anyone else experienced this behavior from their iPhone? This seems to only work in the Starbucks in Montecito, CA. The others that I go to this doesn't work. If I walk into the Starbucks in Montecito, join their AT&T Wireless Network, and I click on iTunes Mobile, this is what comes up:

[​IMG]

I haven't actually logged into the AT&T network, just joined it. It never stops loading. I just get the icon at the bottom with a continuous loading thing. But if I search for songs it works perfectly (Even though I haven't logged into their network). I can even buy songs and download them as well. But if I try to use the App Store or the internet, it tells me that I need to log into the AT&T network first. Anyone else experience this behavior?

2. View macrumors regular

It supposed to tell you what song is playing at your local Starbucks and you're supposed to be able to purchase that song.
    It's currently being rolled out across the country (maybe?)

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How fast are they rolling this out? I haven't heard much about this feature since its initial launch.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

It seems to have halted since launch, I think the idea kind of bombed.

5. liltechdude macrumors member

On apple.com it says that it would be done by the end of 2008. I agree though it looks pretty useless

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No it doesn't. It says it will be in most metro cities by then. It's supposed to eventually be rolled out all over, but that's years off.

ziiiiiiiing!

8. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Starbucks in Arlington, VA North Harrison Street is up and running.

Attached Files:

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I've seen it in three separate Starbucks stores I've visited since getting the iPhone. I actually used the feature once because I was curious about the song that was playing. I think it's a pretty cool "gee whiz" kind of feature.

10. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The Shazam app makes this "feature" totally irrelevent.

11. acdana macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem in Connecticut

[​IMG]

It was working for me a week ago and then it stopped. I get the same thing "Loading". I see a flash of the screen for a second but then it returns to Loading. I reported it to the store and they didn't have a clue how to fix it so I called Starbucks support and they said they had never heard of the problem.

If you find out let me know.

12. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

Recently showed up here in Starbucks in Acton, MA. It just goes "loading..." then displays something for less then a second and then goes loading again -- it continues to repeat that forever...

Didn't know it was going to be in MA so soon... I was joined and logged-in to the AT&T network (I could surf google, etc...) so it's not a network issue. I wonder if they are "just" working on it.

Anyone else in MA have had this working?

13. iDriveX thread starter macrumors member

Identical behavior btw in Montecito. I forgot to mention the quick flash of actual information.

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I read an article* some time ago about the iPhone's interaction with Starbucks and this particular feature was being called a "first step." The article said the next step was going to be that one could order their drink from their iPhone, too. Eventually, they hoped there would be a mechanism in place to also pay for it, whether through the wireless bill or via something like PayPal. The "dream scenario" described in the article was this: You're in the mood for some Starbucks, so you use the Maps program to find one. As you approach the shop, the icon becomes available and you're able to order and pay for your drink before you even step foot inside the store. When you get to the counter, your drink is waiting.

Seems pretty handy, but I'm guessing the folks waiting in the line aren't going to appreciate their orders getting held up by the iPhone crowd.

* I don't remember where I read it.

15. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Ah cool...I hadn't read it here, but those links describe it exactly. Thanks for finding that.