Starbucks induction chargers are a no-go.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gjwilly, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Just in case anyone was wondering.
    I saw all the induction chargers built into the big tables at Starbucks and wondered if they'd charge the Apple Watch. I could definitely feel the pull of the magnet but never got any charging indication.
    So now I know.

2. rowdt1 macrumors regular

That is very weird. You can charge an Apple Watch with just 5 Watt and Starbucks uses the same amount of wattages for making induction charging possible. Maybe Apple banned the use of third party charging possibilities? Just like the iPhone, where the phone notifies you that an aftermarket charging solution is being used instead of their own.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The OP is talking about their Powermat inductive chargers.

4. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Oh, that one. Yeah, I can imagine that it doesn't work since there's no way to insert a cable-like accessory in the Watch. Anyway, too bad.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It will directly work with Powermat (A4WP) compatible devices. However Apple's version of inductive charging is more closely related to the Qi standard.

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Interesting development. I wonder if the iPhone 6s will have inductive charging built in - because the plug-in charging dongle is pretty ugly?

Apple and Starbucks have cooperated before. This national rollout in Starbucks stores could be preparation for the 6s launch?

[​IMG]

7. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Don't you think it would be weird if Apple had two different induction standards across their products..?

8. Arran, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

So this is a different standard from the watch? Yeah, that would be odd.

Can those in-table chargers be retrofitted to support a dual standard? Or how about selling a charging case for iPhones? That would let Powermat make some extra cash out of this.

BTW: I see IKEA is jumping on the bandwagon with inductive furniture and cheap charging cases.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/wireless_charging/30563/

[​IMG]

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

We had a thread about this somewhere before. As far as I remember you can't charge the AW with the IKEA furniture.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yikes. So it's the old, 30-pin vs lightning vs mini USB vs Micro USB charging debacle all over again? But, "look Ma, no wires!"

It used to be you couldn't charge because you'd had the wrong cable. Now it'll be because you have the wrong furniture :)

11. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

Well with apple music there's now an even smaller reason to ever sync your phone. And since back ups can be iCloud it makes sense that apple could be slowly progressing towards no cables at all on the iPhone which could lead to the debut of induction charging.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The battery life on the Watch is good enough. It's the iPhone that could use the extra juice during the day.