Starbucks on watch passport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Technodynamic, May 19, 2015.

1. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

The Apple Watch supports Starbucks with its own app. A few clicks into the app and you can pull up the payment QR code thing to pay at a starbucks register (which is linked to my starbucks gift card).

I'd prefer to double tap the contact button on the bottom right of the phone and have my Apple Pay card as well as my Starbucks card there as an option. Is this possible?

On my phone I have 3 cards in my passport and it is set to mirror on the watch... yet my starbucks card is on the phone but not the watch in passport (apple pay?) area.

Please help if anyone has got it working.

2. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Not sure it is possible.

I just go to the passport icon and then tap my Starbucks card. The scanner code comes up, they scan it, good to go.

I've used it 4 times to pay for coffee and it has worked 75% of the time. One store could not get their gun to scan my watch. Could have been the sun, or just not doing it right.

All 4 times I have gotten an excited reaction. Have always been the first they have seen.

3. jduk15 macrumors newbie

It seems you can only pay using Passport, not the Starbucks watch app itself - mine doesn't show the QR code.

4. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The double click only pulls up your credit cards. It would be nice if there were a way to include coupons and QR codes as well.

5. flur macrumors 68000

The double tap on the button is Apple Pay only, not passbook. Apple makes that pretty confusing, I know. You can get to the actual passbook via the home screen (the one with all the apps), and then just select your card.

For Starbucks, if you go into the Starbucks app on your phone and select your favorite stores, the pass will show up on your lock screen when you are near the store (most of the time, anyway), and then you won't have to go into the apps and select passbook, you'll be able to just open it from the notification.

6. Technodynamic thread starter macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

ah yes, your right. I guess I did it through the passport app.

Would prefer to add it to Apple Pay area. :)

7. flur macrumors 68000

I read a rumor (maybe I read it here?) that the next iteration of Apple Pay will have loyalty cards. Maybe it'll come during WWDC?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This has been asked before. Double clicking the side button will only bring up Apple Pay.

What you can do is configure the Starbucks cards added to Passbook to show on lock screen (based on time or location) and set your favorite store(s). It'll pop up on your watch when you're at your favorite stores and clicking on it goes right to Passbook.

9. jtrue28, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

I'm interested in this....how do you do that?

Nevermind...I figured out how to mark "favorites" in the Starbucks app on my phone. I assume that will then trigger my watch in the morning when I'm near that store...correct?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Starbucks app > Stores. Tap on a store and you'll see a star for adding as Passbook Favorite ("Favorite this store, and your Starbucks Card will appear on your lock screen when you arrive.").

I'm not sure, but you may or may not have to re-add the card to Passbook after doing this. I've had it set up since the beginning.

11. flur macrumors 68000

I did not have to re-add the card.

12. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Something kinda cool...

My fiancee and I went out and left our phones in the car. Decided we wanted Starbucks and *thought* I needed my phone to use my Starbucks card.

Figured the watch wouldn't pull up the card because I didn't have my phone but it worked!

Just thought it was cool that I could be out, without my phone and use my watch to pay :)

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're good to go if you can see your favorite store on the back of your Starbucks card (turn it over by clicking on the exclamation mark) in Passbook. You should also have Show on Lock Screen to on.

14. flur macrumors 68000

Yep, both passbook and Apple Pay will work without the phone. It'll be really nice when more places get Apple Pay.

15. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if the side button was configurable. But any card you add to PassBook syncs over to your watch -- use StoCard to add ones that don't make it as easy as Starbucks does. Just launch passbook on your watch when you are in line, and then when you get up to the wrong raise your wrist to turn on the watch and then put it in front of the scanner. Not really that much more convenient than the iPhone, though.

16. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

It'll update automatically when adding or removing a favorite store if Automatic Updates is toggled on at the back of the card.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Thanks. I wasn't sure because I normally have location set to off for the Starbucks app (don't like how it drains iPhone battery). Automatic updates work only if you have location set to on, but showing on lock screen apparently works with location set to off (I assume from geolocating through Starbucks wifi).

18. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I believe showing on lock screen based on location is determined by Passbook app, if location services is turned off for Passbook, none of the cards would show up based on location. The location service for Starbucks is for showing local store and menu.

19. kovey macrumors 6502a

Have you tried to actually use StoCard? As soon as you turn it towards the cashier (away from you), the screen on the watch goes blank. It's completely useless. I don't know what they were thinking.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Makes sense. Thanks.

21. Alith macrumors 6502

I don't know what StoCard is but Passbook on the watch doesn't switch the display off when you move your wrist and the screen stays on for a long time.

22. timize macrumors regular

timize

I don't think Starbucks has NFC terminals at their registers... at least not in the Columbus, OH area. All of the stores here only have scanners.

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

You guys should count your selves lucky. It will be really nice when Apple actually introduces Apple Pay here in the UK.:(

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think people are saying they'd prefer it if double clicking the side button would bring up Passbook (so they can use it anywhere), not just Apple Pay. However, showing Passbook on the lock screen when you're at your favorited Starbucks stores is just as quick, as clicking on the notification on the Watch goes straight to your Starbucks card in Passbook.

You use Apple Pay from within the Starbucks app to reload the card.

25. mumper macrumors member

Can anyone confirm that a notification comes up on the *watch* when you are at a starbucks that you favorited in Passbook? I know this works on my phone (icon on bottom left and notification top middle) but I have not see it actually come up on my watch yet.

Thanks!