Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I have been a long-time Starbucks customer. I have seen many changes with the rewards program, some good, some bad but the overall changes that happened a few months ago are probably to worse I have seen yet.

They increased the amount of stars needed for the drinks to 150, and the lunch sandwiches to 200. An upside is that they reduced the amount of stars needed for the bakery items to only 50 stars.

Another change that I have noticed over the past few months is the star collecting events, (such as the star-dash, where you make a purchase every day for a few days, or menu challenge, where you purchase particular items over the span of a week), it seems like the amount of stars rewarded for these events has decreased significantly, and the objectives to complete are getting longer.

Has anyone else notice this?

I sometimes wonder if the events are personalized, like unique to the customer, or if they are the same for everyone.

Another upside is that I have been going to Starbucks less and spending less money there. I have about 5K stars saved up, and I have only been using them for the bakery items @ 50 stars each, and I usually just get the bakery items and skip the drinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillytim

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have been a long-time Starbucks customer. I have seen many changes with the rewards program, some good, some bad but the overall changes that happened a few months ago are probably to worse I have seen yet.

They increased the amount of stars needed for the drinks to 150, and the lunch sandwiches to 200. An upside is that they reduced the amount of stars needed for the bakery items to only 50 stars.

Another change that I have noticed over the past few months is the star collecting events, (such as the star-dash, where you make a purchase every day for a few days, or menu challenge, where you purchase particular items over the span of a week), it seems like the amount of stars rewarded for these events has decreased significantly, and the objectives to complete are getting longer.

I sometimes wonder if the events are personalized, like unique to the customer, or if they are the same for everyone.

Another upside is that I have been going to Starbucks less and spending less money there. I have about 5K stars saved up, and I have only been using them for the bakery items @ 50 stars each, and I usually just get the bakery items and skip the drinks.
I used to collect many stars and try to keep my status up. Now I frequent my local shops much more often and have gotten to know those folks better. They even have old punch cards.

They’re generally nicer and the coffee is better. Plus it puts more money in locals’ pockets.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I’ve also been a long-time Starbucks customer as well but I’ve been slowly weaning off Starbucks. Whenever I have a reward, I would either do more add-on or redeem a higher price item. I only partake in the challenges if there are two concurrent challenges where I can hit 2 birds at the same time. I do take advantage of their happy hours. I started to go for 7-11 chillers for $0.99 near me because it is more convenient for me.

It seems they caught up to my tricks. :p

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California

I've notice the increase in '5 days' or '7 days' in a row challenges, which is out of the question for me. On the other hand since the stars seem to last longer now, I have been stacking more. I'm already well past 200, hoping to get the 400 to buy a mug, then not care after that.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
hat I have been going to Starbucks less and spending less money there. I have about 5K stars saved up

Last October, I signed up for the Chase Starbucks Rewards Visa card, and they had a special at the time that if you charged a certain amount to your credit card within the first 3 months, you get enough stars for a free drink a week for a year, so about 52 drinks under the old program.

I still have most if my stars from that deal.

It is a pretty sweet deal now that the stars do not expire after 6 months. Of course the drinks cause a lot more stars, so it wouldn't be 52 drinks, but still a really good deal, imo.

I've notice the increase in '5 days' or '7 days' in a row challenges, which is out of the question for me. On the other hand since the stars seem to last longer now, I have been stacking more. I'm already well past 200, hoping to get the 400 to buy a mug, then not care after that.

I won't do the 5 or 7 day in a row challenges anymore, it is just too expensive for me.

As for getting a mug, I thought about what to spend my stars on, and brownies and the banana-nut loafs seem to be the best thing to get if you equate stars to real money.

For example at my location:

Banana-nut loaf slice is about $3 or 50 stars, $3/50 = $0.06 a star
Brownie is about $3 or 50 stars, $3/50 = $0.06 a star
Most expensive protein bowl is $9 or 200 stars, $9/200 = $0.04 a star
Most expensive sandwich is $7 or 200 stars, $7/200 = $0.03 a star
Cafe Latte is about $4.50 or 150 stars, $4.50/150 = $0.03 a star

It looks like the stars for many bakery items are worth twice as much as a typical drink.

I'm not sure how much the mugs are, does anyone know?

Reactions: phillytim

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I won't do the 5 or 7 day in a row challenges anymore, it is just too expensive for me.

As for getting a mug, I thought about what to spend my stars on, and brownies and the banana-nut loafs seem to be the best thing to get if you equate stars to real money.

For example at my location:

Banana-nut loaf slice is about $3 or 50 stars, $3/50 = $0.06 a star
Brownie is about $3 or 50 stars, $3/50 = $0.06 a star
Most expensive protein bowl is $9 or 200 stars, $9/200 = $0.04 a star
Most expensive sandwich is $7 or 200 stars, $7/200 = $0.03 a star
Cafe Latte is about $4.50 or 150 stars, $4.50/150 = $0.03 a star

It looks like the stars for many bakery items are worth twice as much as a typical drink.

I'm not sure how much the mugs are, does anyone know?

I'm not as concerned about value for my stars. I'm just focused on principal, and I want a Starbuck's mug as a 'lovely parting gift' for my stars. :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I was out with the 2016 Rewards change as I'd had enough.

Way back when, Starbucks offered a black card. You paid yearly and got benefits. Six months in they folded everyone into the Rewards program which reduced my benefits.

There were minor changes until 2016 when they revamped everything. I'm not one of those drip coffee drinkers at Starbucks. I was dropping $25 every time I came in on weekends with my kids. But in 2016 they made it very difficult to earn stars the way I had been.

Starbucks claims everyone asked for that change. Bull. Everyone had been asking for 1 star per item, not stars per dollar spent and Starbucks knows it. Doing it one star per item versus one per visit (as it was pre-March 2016) would have eliminated people like me who made each item a separate purchase.

Shortly after the 2016 change Starbucks closed their idea blog. I'm betting that was because they knew what we'd all been asking and they didn't want to hear the complaints.

Lots of people left over this, including me.

I go to my local coffee shop now. It serves better coffee.

PS. The 2016 change also screwed you on your birthday. Before, you had an entire month to use your birthday drink. Now, you have to use it on your birthday or it's gone.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Way back when, Starbucks offered a black card. You paid yearly and got benefits.
I got this in 2009, although, I think it was called the "gold" card. They sent me a gold card in the mail, with my name on it and when I became a member.

I still use the card.

I'm not one of those drip coffee drinkers at Starbucks.
Me either, I typically get espresso drinks, and the occasional Frappuccino.

Starbucks claims everyone asked for that change. Bull. Everyone had been asking for 1 star per item, not stars per dollar spent and Starbucks knows it.

Yup, I was one of the people asking for a star per item. I wished they would just bring back the old stars rewards program. I liked it better than the current one.

Doing it one star per item versus one per visit (as it was pre-March 2016) would have eliminated people like me who made each item a separate purchase.
This was me too. I wouldn't do it with every purchase that had multiple items, due to the inconvenience or being in a hurry, but most times I would.

I go to my local coffee shop now.
I make my own drinks at home, but between 2008-2015 I would more often than not, just go to Starbucks.

My really nice espresso machine was slowly breaking a few years back, and I decided to trash it, and I tried a Bialetti Moka Express, which isn't quite espresso, but isn't really drip-brewed coffee.

I was pleasantly surprised with the taste and ease of use, and the clean up. After getting an electronic milk frother, I started making my Lattes at home, and prefer them over Starbucks'. So, I have been going to Starbucks a lot less than I use to.

Here is the Bailetti:

For work, I have Espressotoria machine, which I think is no longer sold in the US, but I purchased enough pods for the next year, and that should hold me over for a while.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I got this in 2009, although, I think it was called the "gold" card. They sent me a gold card in the mail, with my name on it and when I became a member.

I still use the card.
I can never remember the date, but the gold card you mention with the name came later. I have mine as well, but I never used it simply because I objected to Starbucks rolling me into the Rewards program when I had paid for an entire year of the other program.

Below is the card I am speaking of. Of course I don't use it now, but I still have it.

IMG_0818.JPG

Reactions: JayMysterio

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I tend to hoard my stars. Currently at 590. I understand why they made the change. I could use my points and load up the extra shots for free. They are trying to have shots count towards stars.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Here is the latest offer from the Starbucks rewards program:

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 4.07.30 PM.png
It is a shame that the rewards program turned into this. I only go about once a week now to make actual purchases, and this is mostly due to the rewards program.

I wonder if I am the only one, or if there are others not liking the rewards program changes.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

View attachment 844840
It is a shame that the rewards program turned into this. I only go about once a week now to make actual purchases, and this is mostly due to the rewards program.

I wonder if I am the only one, or if there are others not liking the rewards program changes.
As I said earlier, I was out several changes ago.

On top of everything else, Starbucks has devalued the 'Stars' currency. When the program originally started you needed less than 20 stars for a free drink. Now we are dealing with hundreds of stars.

People see that and it means a lot less.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

View attachment 844840

I know our spending habits have been curtailed by the new program.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I frequent them almost daily and used to work for the stars but I agree that it's become too much of a hassle to even bother with, they've really taken too much away from it. Every now and then I'll get a free one (far fewer these days) but I never count on them, it's not even worth the spam notifications you get announcing promotion times.

I go there because I can get a consistent drink no matter which location I hit as I'm always traveling. They're the McDonald's of coffee.

Reactions: JayMysterio

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
A slight update:

I mentioned how I was determined to get to 400 stars, just to get a physical item out of some kind of principal.

48398650786_e98aa09089_n.jpg

Well, the problem has become, I can't figure out an item to get. :confused:

I don't need another mug. I wanted a travel mug, but those start at $22

The physical rewards you are allowed to get, canNOT exceed $20.

I guess this means a lot of free coffee instead. :confused:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
A slight update:

I mentioned how I was determined to get to 400 stars, just to get a physical item out of some kind of principal.

48398650786_e98aa09089_n.jpg

Well, the problem has become, I can't figure out an item to get. :confused:

I don't need another mug. I wanted a travel mug, but those start at $22

The physical rewards you are allowed to get, canNOT exceed $20.

I guess this means a lot of free coffee instead. :confused:
Win-win (for them).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I haven't been to Starbucks in years for myself. I still have like $15 or something on my Starbucks card thingy. I don't remember what the rewards levels were back then at all. Since I learned to make my own espresso and pour-over at home/work I haven't been back.

I do stop in a local coffee shop (not a chain restaurant) once in a while though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I haven't been to Starbucks in years for myself. I still have like $15 or something on my Starbucks card thingy. I don't remember what the rewards levels were back then at all. Since I learned to make my own espresso and pour-over at home/work I haven't been back.

I do stop in a local coffee shop (not a chain restaurant) once in a while though.
My wife went to Starbucks the other day (by her work). Coffee was bland and tasteless she told me. No love in the prep.

Personally, I believe Starbucks is now like McDonalds. Overall, you will always know what you're getting, but they don't stand out anymore.

Whatever specialness Starbucks might have had is long gone.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
The latest Starbucks rewards deal I got is probably one of the most pointless ones yet.

Buy a latte and sandwich and get 15 stars.

At least it is something for someone that was already planning on getting those items, I guess.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
In the U.K. it’s a lot different, for every 15 stars you get a free drink. 1 star on every transaction. Think it’s like 70 stars in a year and you get gold, which you get free extra espresso shots, syrup and whipped cream.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
In the U.K. it’s a lot different, for every 15 stars you get a free drink. 1 star on every transaction. Think it’s like 70 stars in a year and you get gold, which you get free extra espresso shots, syrup and whipped cream.
That sounds similar to the original Starbucks rewards in the US from over 10 years ago. Except, I think it was 12 stars for a free drink.

They changed the reward program a few years back, and it has gotten worse with each change since.

The value of a star keeps decreasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.