Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Ok, I hope you realize that wasn't a true story... it's The Onion, it's a parody.

:rolleyes:

Of course, and a parody from 1998. The onion, as always, a hilarious decade ahead of the humor train. By now they probably have Starbucks opening in each individual bathroom stall as well :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
"stores will hand out"

I wonder if this means no purchase is necessary? :confused:

It would be nice but I doubt it.

Of course, and a parody from 1998. The onion, as always, a hilarious decade ahead of the humor train. By now they probably have Starbucks opening in each individual bathroom stall as well :)

I hope you also realise that they do not put the real dates that anything is published also.;)

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I live in the Seattle area... I'll be able to get 20 "Song of the Day" cards daily from my co-workers alone. lol.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Yes you do. I dont drink coffee, but you might find me in starbucks more often

You are going to seek out a Starbucks just for a free download card? When I heard about this Starbucks deal I thought "how many people even want that crap music that Starbucks plays?" I guess they found their target audience.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
And then download the same song 20 times they are all for a specific song unfortunatly.

I know... I'm just saying I absolutely won't have any trouble getting any of the songs. Hope some of them are decent.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Ok, I hope you realize that wasn't a true story... it's The Onion, it's satire.

:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone could miss that. I don't know why you think anyone did.

I'd also agree with the OP's comments re "Mc" Starbucks. Their coffee is plain awful - especially their espresso-based drinks. Milk is often scolded, reheated, combined with milk from other pitchers, their espresso bean is bitter, etc.etc. It's really bottom-of-the-rung coffee designed for uncultured bloated American suburbanites who don't know better.

iNRepaIR

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
i suppose it's cool that apple is doing this with starbucks. i mean, i can't complain about being offered more.

but i have to say, and i think it can be agreed upon, compared to the other topics announced during this apple event, this one got the response of...

"oh, well... that's cool, i guess.... can we see the new ipods again?"

when it comes down to it, with the itunes store showing up on iphones and ipod touches, the concept with starbucks seems redundant. although i am welcoming being pleasantly surprised.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't think anyone could miss that. I don't know why you think anyone did.

I'd also agree with the OP's comments re "Mc" Starbucks. Their coffee is plain awful - especially their espresso-based drinks. Milk is often scolded, reheated, combined with milk from other pitchers, their espresso bean is bitter, etc.etc. It's really bottom-of-the-rung coffee designed for uncultured bloated American suburbanites who don't know better.

It's the funniest thing, I don't like Starbucks coffee, but I do like Starbucks. I agree that the coffee is over-roasted, and the espresso roast seems highly acidic, but it's still a very nice place to go. Maybe if I lived in a metropolitan area and had other choices I wouldn't like Starbucks so much, but in the small town where I live, it's a bit of a beacon of sophistication and respite.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I prefer Diet Coke, rarely been to Starbucks except when dragged their by a co worker (maybe 3 or 4 times)

Now with iTunes, ordering will have to be a little different. I'll take a Vente Mocha Macca.

crackermac

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Not that I need another excuse to go in, but this is pretty cool. I too wish we could use it as a full wifi spot as opposed to just iTunes, but it'll do.

To the people who hate starbucks because of their price and domination... I don't mind paying the extra money for cup-a-joe since they are able to purchase beans that come from traditionally (shade) grown plantations. They don't use the hybrid beans that most companies do. I prefer keeping the rain forest and paying a couple extra bucks. The fact they are so large helps them purchase a great bean.

mmm, pumpkin spice coffee, here I come.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
When I heard about this Starbucks deal I thought "how many people even want that crap music that Starbucks plays?" I guess they found their target audience.

Yes, The Police, Dave Matthews, Feist, Paul McCartney, Maroon 5, James Blunt, and Common are all terribly unsuccesful and have no fans because they're so crappy. You may not like it, but I would say it's a safe bet to think that there would be a good number of people on these boards that like at least one of those bands.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Yes, The Police, Dave Matthews, Feist, Paul McCartney, Maroon 5, James Blunt, and Common are all terribly unsuccesful and have no fans because they're so crappy. You may not like it, but I would say it's a safe bet to think that there would be a good number of people on these boards that like at least one of those bands.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but just wanted to say that level of success, number of fans and degree of talent are all (very) mutually exclusive.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The only way this would appeal to me is if the whole internet was available to Apple customers at Starbucks, and not just the iTunes store. I can't stomach the thought of giving TMobile money just to surf the web on my iPhone while I enjoy my Machiato. :p

Agreed, but why not just use EDGE? ;)

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Something very big for Apple

This is truly going to be amazing and will probably be the catalyst that will push Apple to the top of the Music Retail heap. Until, now millions of computer users have gone to Starbucks with their laptops, only to find out that you have to pay to use the Wi-Fi there. Some obviously have pulled their wallets out to pay for that experience. Millions left their laptops home.

Until now.

While they won't be able to surf anywhere else but the iTunes stores FOR FREE, I believe that alone will be enough motivation for people to bring their laptops and their iPhone and iPod Touch to the coffee houses to peruse the store and buy while they're there. There's just something so fun about coffee and downloading music, talking artists and songs with friends. It's gonna be so huge.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003

Ive got music on my computer from all but 2 of those bands. Never heard of Feist or Common to be quite honest. I was making a generalization. Yes, they might play songs from well knows artists occasionally, but 99% of the sh*t I hear when Im in there I would never want, even for free.

Nastard

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Denver, CO
Out of curiosity, why do you boycott Starbucks?

Probably because Starbucks is... evil... and corporationy... and all they care about is money... and stuff.

It'll always be cool to try to tear the man down. I used to boycott Starbucks until I asked myself, honestly, why I hated them. The best answer I could come up with was "too successful".

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Probably because Starbucks is... evil... and corporationy... and all they care about is money... and stuff.

It'll always be cool to try to tear the man down. I used to boycott Starbucks until I asked myself, honestly, why I hated them. The best answer I could come up with was "too successful".

That's one of the best posts I've seen here--wonderfully open and honest!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.