Starbucks WiFi iTunes already working (sorta).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Sep 30, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Just for kicks I thought I'd see what happened if I connected to the T-Mobile hotspot at my local Bux and tried to launch the iTunes store on the iPhone. I figured it wouldn't work because T-Mobile wouldn't want AT&T customers on their wifi network and that AppleBux would either be installing new routers or at least launching a separate SSID for iTunes. Well Apple must have cut T-Mo in on the action because the iTunes store fired right up and I was able to browse and preview songs to my heart's content. Maybe it's just temporary.

Funny thing is, when I tried to browse the web via Safari, I was taken to a Bux page describing the iTunes store, with a link to a site called "Hear Music Now"...which requires...drum roll please...Flash. A rim shot might be more appropriate.

2. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

well the wifi store works on any wifi connection so im not sure you stumbled upon anything besides that.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I guess the suprising thing, to me anyway, is that T-Mo would be open to hosting traffic for Apple's cash cow without requiring a paid hotspot logon. They certainly won't let you browse the web without it. I was under the impression that T-Mobile owned and operated the Bux routers. I guess Starbucks owns them.

4. sanford macrumors 65816

I thought they would go with a separate infrastructure, too. I do think T-Mo owns the equipment; they certainly own the service. But T-Mo hotspots are a turnkey service. If they weren't, it's easier and potentially generates more business if you buying you're own equipment, just contract for a reasonable bandwidth plan for a broadband provider and ISP, and give the access away. Only by the we-do-it-all approach does it make sense let T-Mo run the Bux WiFi business, even factoring in revenue-sharing. Paid WiFi = convenience and a latte. Free WiFI = parked all day long buying 10 lattes in a kind of store that doesn't generally stay traffic-heavy all day long, especially during the week.

Are you in Seattle or New York? If not, it was definitely T-Mo you were riding on. If you are in one of those two cities, perhaps it is a separate system and they've just switched it on a couple days early. Now if you're in Cleveland, the service isn't even supposed to come to other cities until 2008, meaning its odd it worked even if it is T-Mo.

An iTunes WiFi revenue-sharing arrangement with T-Mo definitely gives T-Mo incentive to keep unlocked iPhones off their network. (The buzz is apparently T-Mo USA deeply regrets rejecting Apple's terms when they were approached before AT&T for iPhone.)

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Can you clarify. Were you using the iTunes via Starbucks wifi for FREE? Or did you log in and use your Tmobile hotspot account (and therefore pay) for the internet access to use iTunes.
    If you were iTune-ing for free, this is big news.

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm in NYC. I do not pay T-Mo for wifi. I tapped the T-Mo SSID on the iPhone and connected. Anyone with a wifi device can get this far. But when you try to browse the web, you're taken to a login page, like any other pay service. The difference is, I tapped the iTunes icon on the phone and had free reign on the iTunes store.

7. sanford macrumors 65816

Yeah and NYC is one of the launch cities, so seems it's on early and it is somehow related to T-Mo, because I'm 99% sure they own the data hardware infrastructure for their service in any place they provide service.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Does iTunes on the phone use a port other than 80? That could be the difference. It may be going through a different port. Of course if it does use port 80, then I dunno why it is working.

9. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I noticed this too when I was at a Starbucks yesterday. The Starbucks screen popped up and had a link to "Hear Music".... I also got the error that flash needs to be downloaded before going any further, so my only guess is that Apple will be getting us flash by the time this Starbucks thing rolls out, or else this idea will not work it seems. This is all only speculation on my part though...

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The music store has been accessible, well since the 1.1.1 update.

11. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

As I was browsing the store, I kept wondering how it was working. It occurred to me that the iTunes store is not a typical web address, and the iTunes store on the iPhone is not via a typical browser, therefore redirection to a T-Mo logon page would not be possible. It just makes me wonder if there was no special tweak needed on T-Mo's end to allow access to the iTunes store because maybe the store is bypassing known protocols. This then begs 3 questions...does Apple know this is happening? Does T-Mo? And what other non-web based services might be available via T-Mo hotspots unbeknownst to T-Mo?

12. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

That's not what this thread is about.

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ummmm. Lets see using the wifi music store in starbucks, I'd have to say that is what it's about.

unless your wondering why you could use the wifi store and not safari, and that question was answered with the wifi store using a different port. Since t-mobile using a web based log in you can get by this. which is what I believe Apple had planned.

14. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I think what he means is this thread is about how the starbucks wi-fi music store is working early. Not about the regular wi-fi music store.

15. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

umm. The iTunes store via Starbucks is not due to roll out til October. Yes, you can access the store on a wifi connection, but technically the Starbucks deal has not gone live.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

What I am trying to point out is that in Minneapolis I can use the wifi store at a starbucks or any other play with a wifi. The starbucks thing in Minneapolis does not even have a roll out date.

unless your saying that you were able to view and download the starbucks featured music.

17. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

No, couldn't view or download the bux tunes. Well you discovered it before I did. It struck me as odd. It struck you as normal. Viva la difference!

18. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

This is truly major news then.
    What makes no sense is why Apple is rolling out the Starbucks process.... in a few stores first. That implied to me that there was significant hardware that had to be installed in the stores. But if T-mobile is allowing iPhones to snag wifi (just for iPhones) then perhaps it is a temporary thing and Tmobile/Apple don't know this is happening. Or, Apple struck a deal with TMobile (I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did this.. may as well keep the other GSM carrier who is compatible with the iPhone close to you...just in case you need them in the future!)

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

When I noticed it. I figured it would was on a different port then the web stuff because of the t-mobile hot spot. No concrete evidence on this, just what people have been saying. Just made sense to me though as I didn't see starbucks stripping their wifi out and replacing it just for Apple.

20. cgray24 macrumors member

I think the actual feature they are slowly rolling out is the "see whats playing" option, and seeing what has played over the Starbucks speakers. That would indicate, to me at least, some form of local hardware system to log music playing and played.

Opening up the port for internet traffic for wifi itunes could have been a simple admin setting.

Im curious if Itunes Stores on a mac could gain access as well.

Im also curious if Starbucks gets a kickback on any songs sold through its store.