Starcraft 10.5.3/10.5.4 fix?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Eluzion, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I was searching around on Google to see if there was a fix out yet and I came across two threads with information regarding this.

One thread had a posting from a Blizzard staff member saying they were working on a fix for 10.5.3/10.5.4.

Another thread had a link to the following file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3d2hbizmbzt

Apparently it downgrades your Nvidia video drivers to the version in 10.5.2 and allows you to play Starcraft.

Has anyone heard of this?

2. Clarkeness macrumors newbie

Fix OSX 10.5.4 problem

No but I wish Apple or Blizzard would fix this soon!

3. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

Yeah, I've read about it and done it, it works... With no problems so far, I have kept the installer as it is also an uninstaller...

4. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. Just tried it and it works!

Any idea how to play the game windowed instead of full screen?

5. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

yup... just press cmd + m once the game has loaded....

edit:
    that's also the way to get rid of that annoying mouse cursor...

6. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Whoa though i read that everyone was having problems when they moved back to the normal drivers. That they could not boot into OS X normally?

It is confirmed that Starcraft and Diablo work in 10.5.5, So i think it would just be more intelligent to wait for that.

7. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

what is the Nvidia video drivers ? i've never heard of it. but i can still play on Battlenet w/o any problems..

8. imassents macrumors 6502

While this is correct, it is not needed due to the fact that there have been no reported issues as a result of using the 10.5.2 drivers. There also is no need to uninstall them before updating to 10.5.5 as the installer will copy over the drivers regardless of the currently installed version.

If you do need to uninstall the drivers, grab the OS X 10.5.4 combo update and install it on top of your current install to return the drivers back to the newest state. You may need to check software update after doing this just to make sure all secuirty updates are included.

9. alkar macrumors regular

Yes it is. Works perfectly now.

10. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Just to clarify, you are saying that 10.5.5 fixes the issue and previous workarounds are no longer necessary?

11. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what he's saying. 10.5.5 isn't out yet though, so this work-around will hold me over until then. ;)

12. nnfaris5 macrumors member

never heard of it. when is SC II coming out ??

13. alkar macrumors regular

That's what I'm saying.

14. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Not soon enough! I hear December is the target release date. Not sure if my current MBP will run it though, hehe.

15. kylestarr macrumors newbie

Just updated to 10.5.5 and it still does not work. It still crashes immediately although the release notes for 10.5.5 do state "includes extensive graphics enhancements"... weird

16. rbarris macrumors 6502

Download the StarCraft or BroodWar 1.15.3 patch from macgamefiles.com or the Blizzard support site. It should enable correct operation of the game on any 10.5.x OS.