Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
You can now log in to battle.net and opt in for the Starcraft 2 beta now. Blizzard has a custom way to scan your system to obtain your specs for the sign up. I assume it will work on Mac. Haven't gotten home yet to find out.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
You can now log in to battle.net and opt in for the Starcraft 2 beta now. Blizzard has a custom way to scan your system to obtain your specs for the sign up. I assume it will work on Mac. Haven't gotten home yet to find out.

I'll definitely be checking this out when I get home from work tonight. Monitoring this thread until then, though.

Can't wait to hear more about this!!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I don't see any information on Blizzard's website about the beta being available for signup. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it is only on Battle.net, but i see nothing right now.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Cool, will definitely be doing this as soon as I get home.

Good thing I just got my new 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac on Monday. I doubt Blizzard would have picked me on my old iMac G5.

Actually, you might have had a better chance, everyone has new machines but not everyone is still running G5s, it's in Blizzard's interest to test the game in a wide spectrum of configurations.

Unless Starcraft 2 is intel-only, in which case you would have been indeed screwed.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I opted in and uploaded my system specs, i bet this game will be intel only, the newest PPC is 3 years old, and if it is universal i bet only high end G5s could run it.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I opted in and uploaded my system specs, i bet this game will be intel only, the newest PPC is 3 years old, and if it is universal i bet only high end G5s could run it.

I've been trying off and on all night and I still can't upload my system specs to Blizzard. Very frustrating. It just keeps saying there was an error in uploading the specs.

Think it's because of demand? My Internet connection is working just fine, otherwise.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
It is. I had to try a bunch of times before it went through.

I do suspect this and Diablo III (especially Diablo) will be Intel only.

Not sure what the problem was. I have Windows 7 installed on my iMac, so I decided to try and boot Windows up and try the Beta Opt-In from there. Worked right away. Hope this is nothing to do with some incompatibility with OS X 10.5.6 and Safari/the System Spec Program I downloaded.

Especially since I am using Safari under Windows 7.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I can't find any specific SC 2 Beta opt-in, but I'd guess it's because I live in Europe. There's a normal beta opt-in page with tickboxes to opt-in for all coming Blizzard games, but joystiq says it's not for SC 2. Go figure.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I got my battle.net tied to my WoW account last night but could not download the scanner. Probably just way too many people doing the same thing as it was prime time in the US. I'll try again tonight.

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Signed up, and I live in Europe by the way (for those saying they can't do it). It recognised my processor (2.0GHz P7350) but said the clock-speed in the next category was only 1.881 GHz..odd?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I did this yesterday for my Mac. It wouldn't work after a ton of tries, so I redownloaded the systemcheck for mac and it worked right away, not sure what the case was but that did it. And under your preferences, it shows 3 checks for starcraft, diablo and warcraft beta opt ins if I remember correctly.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I did this yesterday for my Mac. It wouldn't work after a ton of tries, so I redownloaded the systemcheck for mac and it worked right away, not sure what the case was but that did it. And under your preferences, it shows 3 checks for starcraft, diablo and warcraft beta opt ins if I remember correctly.

never tried to redownload it. I'll do that when I get home would rather test it under OS X.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
The re-download worked for me. Updated my system specs to reflect my iMac running OS X. Yay!!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Yeah, mine's now changed a few times since!

This is odd! I wonder if it's just a problem that Blizzard is working out and they are making the adjustments once the system specs have been uploaded? Hopefully it won't affect who gets chosen for a beta key!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is odd! I wonder if it's just a problem that Blizzard is working out and they are making the adjustments once the system specs have been uploaded? Hopefully it won't affect who gets chosen for a beta key!
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in their FAQs that it's a random pool they choose from (while targeting certain machine configs) and when you register will not affect your chances of being accepted.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
How did everyone go? Not too sure if beta is out for OS X aswell as windows yet.

System check didn't show up all my HDD space, Only one CPU, and would only show up my 7300 until I took it out then it would display the 8800gt :confused:

Is RBarris still around?

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.