Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Help Please

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
1.86GHz, 4GB RAM, 13" MBA - I just installed SC2 today and went to play it and of course, I had been reading the forums prior to buying my Air, and many were saying Medium settings run just fine, some were even running on High. On Medium I'm lagging around the menu and in game and sometimes even Low lags.

Anybody know what could be the problem? I just got this last Friday :confused:

EDIT: It should be important to note, I did the combo update from 10.6.5 to 10.6.7, and from the looks of it, there has been a huge hit to FPS in many cases. Could this be it?

Last edited:

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
From everything I've read about the 10.6.7 patch, it is probably your issue. SC 2 runs very well on my 11" MBA, but I am still on 10.6.6.

If I we're you I would revert to 10.6.6 and give it a try. If you didn't take a full backup or disk image before you upgraded, you should be able to simply reinstall OS X from your install USB stick. Don't delete and install; install over your current installation. All your current applications will remain intact that way.

Help Please

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
From everything I've read about the 10.6.7 patch, it is probably your issue. SC 2 runs very well on my 11" MBA, but I am still on 10.6.6.

If I we're you I would revert to 10.6.6 and give it a try. If you didn't take a full backup or disk image before you upgraded, you should be able to simply reinstall OS X from your install USB stick. Don't delete and install; install over your current installation. All your current applications will remain intact that way.

Right, I didn't do a backup because I had just got the laptop and migrated over my data. I am new to Mac, so most of this stuff is new to me. When I reinstall OS X, I put in my flash drive on reboot and hold down 'C', from there, what do I do?

GreyMatta

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
England
Right, I didn't do a backup because I had just got the laptop and migrated over my data. I am new to Mac, so most of this stuff is new to me. When I reinstall OS X, I put in my flash drive on reboot and hold down 'C', from there, what do I do?

10.6.7 killed my SC2

I was getting 34fps on 10.6.6 now I get 7fps :(

Waiting for Apple to fix it

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder what technically changed??

Anyone complained to Apple about this?

I'm not a programmer, but I noticed that the 10.6.7 release notes stated that it addressed an issue that could cause kernel panics in the MacBook Air. Perhaps they concluded that something in the NVIDIA 320m was causing the panics and they changed the drivers, which reduced performance. Unfortunately, Apple is the only source of drivers for the chip, so reverting to 10.6.6 seems to be the only option until and unless Apple addresses this.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I'm not a programmer, but I noticed that the 10.6.7 release notes stated that it addressed an issue that could cause kernel panics in the MacBook Air. Perhaps they concluded that something in the NVIDIA 320m was causing the panics and they changed the drivers, which reduced performance. Unfortunately, Apple is the only source of drivers for the chip, so reverting to 10.6.6 seems to be the only option until and unless Apple addresses this.

Man that really sucks. I just updated yesterday because I found out that the iTunes lockups weren't on the 11", but only the 13". I thought that was the only issue. :/

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Well it could not degrade performance 4x...
I understand 5-10% judging by XBench results but not that much...
And there are some people who are reporting that SC FPS stayed the same
so I presume it is a bug...

tungry

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Now that 10.6.8 is out, anyone out there have done the combined update 10.6.7 and is having the graphic issue have it resolved with this new 10.6.8? I'm downloading it right now but if anyone has it downloaded/installed and has it fixed please chime in!

EDIT: Just had the 10.6.8 installed. It fixed the lag issue for me on SC2.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.