Starcraft 2 on Macbook Pro 13" nVidia 9400m?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Mar 19, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Hello, and I have Macbook with GMA 950.
    I have Starcraft 2 beta (don't ask me to give you the beta ID and Password), and I have been playing around with it on Windows Bootcamp.
    It fairly works well in lowest settings besides some lagging with 6 fps when there is a big battle.
    I am planning to get new Macbook Pro today, and do you think Medium settings will work on the nVidia 9400?:confused:

2. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

3. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

4. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Those two should come together. And yeah, wait a few more weeks or you will be disapointed.

That being said, you should be able to run it on maybe lower mediums settings with the 9400m, but if youa re running it well enough to at least play right now you might as well at least wait for the update.

5. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

I'd say wait as well but that is me. For the record I have a friend who is playing Beta SC2 as well and her top end 15" MBP with the 9600 eats it up at medium to high settings. Although I did not have much time to watch or play myself it looked stunning.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Medium to high settings seems accurate. Tried it with all high settings and it wasn't the smoothest experience (kind of disappointing really...). So the 9400M should be good at medium settings at the highest but you're probably looking at low to medium.

7. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

me and you are on the same boat bro. im waiting for D3 and SC2 to come. did not get the beta invite :(. you want to give me your "friend beta invite" ;). that BLIZZARD is doing :D :cool:

8. wankey macrumors 6502a

SC2 will need a 9600gt if you want it to look nice. But I'm sure it will run fine on a 9400gt as well provided you set the settings to low. Blizzard is known to support all kinds of video cards and have their engines ramp up to meet performance. Gameplay first is their motto.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's what has typically happened in the past which is why I'm a bit surprised that (considering the 9600M GT isn't the best discrete GPU...) the 9600M GT couldn't handle Starcraft 2 at native resolution (1440x900) at full/high settings.

10. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

I bought it for just goodness's sake.
    It's terrible good. I couldn't even sleep on the first day!
    I installed Bootcamp and played SC2 Beta.
    AWSOME!
    Automatically went to 'medium' settings, and everything just looked as good as ultra. Seems like there is not a big difference between Ultra and Medium.

I am waiting for 14 days upgrade. If you bought your Macbook Pro and the update comes out in 14 days, you get free Macbook Pro (and the money if the price is lowered).
    I will invite people for sure!:D:D:D:D:D

11. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

haha COOL waiting on you then, whenever there is a code you have laying around ;)

12. mjohansen macrumors regular

Oh please god, invite me to beta!

13. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Just keep in mind that its still a Beta, which means that they've got significant amounts to refine (performance is a huge issue imo of SC2). I'm sure that it'll run on a 9600m GT just fine when it's retail.

14. jicka macrumors member

Oh man pleeeaase invite me to the beta!! I want to see how it runs on my base model 13 inch mbp and my asus gaming laptop

15. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

While I am sure it will run very well... if I am getting SC2, I would rather wait and run it on something newer.