Starcraft 2 - poor performance on early 2008 & 10.6.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aforty, Aug 2, 2010.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I'm getting really poor performance on my early 2008 MBP with 4GB RAM and running Snow Leopard. I know it's not the newest computer but it's weird because it starts out really speedy but the framerate deteriorates over the next 5-10 minutes until it becomes unplayable. I've tried to shut down all unused apps but that doesn't seem to help.

I read a while back an article that mentioned Valve recommending against using 10.6.4 for gaming because of a performance issue. Could this be the same thing or do you think I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

there are definitely driver problems with 10.6.4 if you use bootcamp youll see an extreme performance boost

3. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea I'm working towards that route. My bootcamp partition was too small so I wanted resize it (by merging and making new again with the Bootcamp Assistant)... big mistake, now I have the dreaded error that even iDefrag can't fix :(

Was just wondering if there's anything I can do on Snow Leopard to improve performance.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Hopefully Apple will release a hotfix to address the graphics issues.

5. cohls macrumors newbie

There is a mac performance guide that outlines different video settings for most macs/macbooks on the official SC2 forums.

heres the link: Guide

I have a 2010 15" i5 4gb ram and I've followed that guide, my performance boosted a bit. I get better framerates on my two your old vista laptop which makes me sort of sad because it takes 10 minutes just for the computer to boot up and become usable. I'm really looking forward to some video driver updates.

6. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Thanks cohls. The recommended settings made a huge difference.

7. mansanas macrumors regular

ya sc2 is unplayable on osx, no problems whatsoever on bootcamp.
    fix this apple/blizzard! why release it on the osx if it sucks this much?!

8. wschutz macrumors 6502

It's not just Apple's problem but NVidia's too ;)
    It's been said they were working together to improve the performance... but I wonder when we'll see those results... and even if we do... it might happen for upcoming products given Apple's policies...

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hmm I must have imagined completing the single player campaign in os x then.

10. mansanas macrumors regular

im talking about multiplayer, i havent tried the campaign yet.
    have u tried playing online yet? if so how is it for you?

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

multiplayer was very playable on my 8600m on medium w/ medium textures provided that your turn off shadows and the other buggy stuff.

12. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

By the way...

Used SuperDuper! to cloned my drive to an external, cloned back (and formated in the process), booted back into internal HD, made a bigger bootcamp partition, installed Windows 7, installed latest drivers from laptopvideo2go.com -- problem solved.

Can't wait till Apple fixes this though, hate Windows with a passion.