Starcraft 2 PPC compatable? Newer PPC games?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by PowerGamerX, Jul 21, 2010.

1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I gather not, but I can't seem to find it by google'ing the system requirements. Anybody know of any decent games that have come out recently for PowerPC. I'm just more curious than anything.

Also, I'm getting a Mac Pro, so don't give me any of that "dude your hardware is teh oldz, get a new one". My PowerBook works fine on the go thank you very much.:D

2. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=26242&locale=en_US

3. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Okay thanks, my friend will be disappointed that it wont run on his G5 quad.

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Eh, just tell him to play StarCraft 1, it's almost the same game.

5. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

He loves 1, just wants better graphics :p. Personally, i think there's a charm to the originals graphics.

Anyway, most games are just more pretty versions of games that have come out in the past. I play most things on consoles anyway. (No worrying about system requirements or searching for patches etc.)

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I know, just being snarky. ;) I was really excited to play the Beta and when I finally got in and got it installed, I was like, "This is it?"

I mean, it's the *exact* same game, with updated graphics and a handful of new units. Even the structures look the same, just higher-res.

Ah well, sorry to thread-jack. :eek:

7. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Hey, this thread was meant to be jacked, one simple question isn't exactly a catalyst for long conversation :).

I haven't tried the beta but every video I've watched of it just makes me go "meh". Plus, you can't play it on a pretty PowerBook G4 :D

8. njpodder macrumors regular

Well, I gotta tell you that I was never a really big RTS fan, but I did always play the Blizzard RTS entries (Starcraft & Warcraft) and from my experience playing the crap out of SC1 and my recent experience playing the crap out of SC2, I would like to add to the discussion here.

Yeah, on the surface, and in screenshots, SC1 and SC2 are essentially the same game. But, what they have done is taken everyhting from the first gmae, and improved upon it greatly. The balance is even more amazing than the first time around. There are new ways to counter all the old school popular strategies. The graphics, of course, are improved, and the units and upgrades are much more diverse this time around. i.e. Upgrading your Terran HQ to eitehr a defensive stronghold or a support stronghold with extra mining bots, additional supply depot support, etc. - or the new tech//reactor lab systems on the buildings, or the warp gate function on Protoss gateways.

So beneath the surface, there is plenty that is new, but what you don't see until you actually play the game are some of the more hidden improvements, which are huge. For example, there is a really excellent achievement system that actually has lots of unlockable content rather than just being for bragging points. The best part, though, is that the multiplayer is completely overhauled this time. the leauge system and how it calculates your rankings has been redone completely. I was never a real competitve RTS player, and I am blown away at how the positioning in the ranks operates. I never felt like I was placed with someone out of my leauge either direction very far which is something new. Also, the AI really does play like a human opponent, with very effective scouting, units that actively are controlled jsut as you would control your individual units, and this time, the AI does not always go for the same strategy. If it scouts you and sees that you are building a completel sky army, it really will build a sky army defense, rather than jsuta cookie cutter build that simply tries to overwhelm and annhialate you.

I would challenge you to really take a look at it and give it a try. And it's Blizzard, so you know that regardless of what the specs say, it will work on any computer built within the last 5+ years easily.

9. goMac macrumors 603

I don't know of any recent game supporting PPC. Rome Total War just released a PowerPC patch, but that's not entirely recent.

Pretty much the lack of good GPU's for the PPC is what killed PowerPC gaming. Even if they made the games for PowerPC, there aren't many cards for PPC that could handle them.

10. rbarris macrumors 6502

Even if the games were there on PPC and the good GPU's were there on PPC, the graphic driver updates aren't coming any more - 10.5.8 was end of the line.

3/4 of the PowerPC users have uniprocessor G4's with a 167MHz FSB and something like a Radeon 9800 or lower. Imagine even if the game had been ported to PPC, what it would run like - "FPM".

I think the last PowerPC machines rolled off the line before SC2 was even announced in 2007 ?

11. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Yes, however, Blizzard usually has a habit of supporting archaic hardware. For example, Cataclysm still supports PowerPC chipsets.

12. Garrus macrumors member

What i'm waiting for anyway is the customs maps :cool:
    (the single player look really nice too...)

13. rbarris macrumors 6502

I have some familiarity with the Blizzard process.

SC2 has an engine that goes way beyond WoW's minimum requirements. As such it has requirements that were just not going to be credibly met by most GPU's that shipped on PPC, and certainly not with the drivers available on PPC. WoW's capabilities are growing too and it would not at all surprise me to see it drop PPC support within a year or two.

14. rbarris macrumors 6502

Ask again.