Starcraft 2 Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandonb123, Jul 18, 2010.

1. brandonb123 macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2010
    Hey all,

Just wondering if it would be a better idea to purchase the mac or windows version of SC 2? I have a new 2.53 core i5 macbook pro with high res but i have heard the windows version is generally faster. Would running bootcamp for hours on end be bad for my comp? will I notice a difference? What you guys think?

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

Nov 5, 2009
    The cd itself contains both versions-- for windows and osx.
  3. halprin macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2003
    Austin, TX
    What he said. Blizzard makes hybrid disks that have both the Mac OS X and Windows versions. No need to worry what version you will be buying.

I'm assuming it will not be bad for your computer because it is just a different operating system, but I wouldn't know; I don't have Windows installed on my Mac.
  4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2008
    After testing the beta, SC2 plays better in Windows and will always play better in windows
  5. brandonb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2010
    okay sounds good, so would running bootcamp for a few hours at a time be hard on the comp? I know it gets a lot hotter and use the nvidia GPU, just dont want to hurt my new machine :)
  6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2008
    Why would it be hard on it? It's not at all.
  7. brandonb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2010
  8. AustinZ macrumors member

Aug 6, 2008
    You're going to be using the nVidia GPU whether you play it on OSX or Windows, so that's not a big deal. And (judging from the beta) the game does play a lot better on Windows than it does on OSX, which is rather unfortunate.

If you're really worried about heat dissipation, you can download smcfancontrol or another utility, manually set your fans to run at 4000 or 6000 RPM in OSX, and then boot into Windows. The fans will retain their higher speeds even in Windows.
  9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2009
    Do the fans still speed up when in windows? Because when I tried bootcamp they would not speed up at all and there is no way I would game without the fans turned up as the temp is already 70-80c with the fans @ 6k
  10. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2009
  11. plethon macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Shame to hear this. WoW pretty much plays the same on the same hardware, and the same goes for prior Blizzard titles as well. I hope this isn't a new normal (I'm too much looking forward to DIII).
  12. Meever macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2009
    I've heard from everyone who plays WoW that it runs much better on Windows. Older Blizzard games don't show a difference since even netbooks (hell most tablets pure spec wise) can run them on medium-high.

I've heard it's primarily because of the difference between Directx and openGL drivers not being on par or something.

I don't really mind playing on OSX side though since with most competitive games I like keeping the settings on low for less distraction and better draw distance.