Starcraft 2 Skirmish Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by horace528, Aug 9, 2011.

1. horace528 macrumors regular

horace528

Hello I'm seeing a little problem with the Starcraft 2 Starter Edition.
    As you know, the Starcraft 2 Starter Edition is the replacement for Starcraft 2 Demo that was released recently. It has better stuff then the Demo, and it is more upgraded.
    But the problem starts here: the Starcraft 2 skirmish does not work!
    When I chose a map to play, it says that you need to upgrade to the full version , and there is a button to upgrade or cancel.
    I usually only play skirmish instead of the campaign or the multiplayer, so the skirmish is critical to me.
    Any ways to solve this problem?

Here are two screenshots, one is showing the Starcraft 2 skirmish and saying that this is for full games, and the second is saying that I need to upgrade to play this after clicking create game.

Attached Files:

2. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

Pretty sure you can play skirmish but only have four maps to choose from. If you choose a map unavailable in the Starter Edition you will get the upgrade message. Here's a link to Blizzard's post and the list of maps available:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3250656#blog

3. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

That's weird...

I had a ton of maps in the skirmish! How can this be?

4. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

The whole list of maps will still be present but there should be an icon next to the maps you can play. It should be noted that this is my educated guess based on what I've read and seen. I have the full game and the Starter Edition icon appears next to the SE maps so I am figuring that it should show up that way for you.

Hope this helps.

But it would just be easier to buy the game since it's so awesome anyway. :)

5. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

Another thing...

All the skrmish maps that are supposed to work are still locked for some reason.

Is this a Joke? come on!!

6. SilentCrs macrumors regular

If you're playing the game a lot, wouldn't it make sense to pay for it? Then you wouldn't have to worry about what maps you could/could not use.

7. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

I have a question

How does the icon look like? I didn't see anything.
    Anyway, when I chose the maps Xel’Naga Cavern, Shattered Temple, Discord IV , and High Orbit, they still say to upgrade to the full version.

8. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

Went into the game to confirm what I saw before. Like you said, under the Versus AI I did NOT see the icons. However, I see them when I go to Multiplayer games, and under "Custom Games" you select "Create Game." The icon looks like a blue star. I attached a screenshot to help. So try going to Multiplayer Games--->Create Game (Under Custom Games) and selecting a map with that blue star and let me know if that works. Maybe the Versus AI section is just buggy.

Attached Files:

9. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

It should be noted that creating a custom game is another legitimate way to "skirmish." This is the way I usually do it because, for some odd reason, the Single Player Versus AI section of the game has always been much slower for me. Just create a custom game, select a map, and add an AI player and you're good to go.

10. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

Will this allow me to play with a computer player??

Like I said in the titie, will this allow me to play with a computer player??

11. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

Yes it does. It is actually how I do it normally because Versus AI is just a little slow to load up. You just select "+AI" at the top of the lobby once you create a custom game.

12. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

Well...

I mean that I play the skirmish a lot.

13. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

Thanks!!

I think that you just cleared up my mind for Starcraft 2!!!
    Thanks oklaonion!!

14. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

Happy to help!