StarCraft 2 vs my IMAC Requirements

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by pureelite1, Jul 18, 2010.

1. pureelite1 macrumors member

Hi i just need to know if i can run Starcraft 2 on my 27" Imac no idea if the requirements are enough or not especially regarding the graphics card.

27" Imac Specifications
    3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB

Starcraft 2 Recommended Requirements
    Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    4 GB system RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or ATI Radeon HD 4670 or better

Any help is strongly appreciated it, thank you

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You'll be able to play at native resolution with medium settings. In order to play it with high settings, you'd need the mobility 4850 model.

3. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

If you are boot camping then buy the Windows version as you'll see better performance.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There's only one version, it's for the mac and pc.

5. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Lets put it this way.

I have the SC2 beta right now, and I have a iMac 8,1, C2D 2.66 256MB ATI 2600 Pro HD.

I can run at native resolution, with all settings on low (except audio, I hate ****** audio!!).

The result? Flawless gameplay. I have yet to drop frames, once, and while yes, its on low, I care more about performance. Just as a cautionary though, I haven't tried ramping up the settings at all; that's because after playing for an hour it gets hot. Warmer then usual actually; CPU sits around 70, with GPU around 60. Not terrible, but I'm typically not used to the CPU being so hot, makes the casing feel much warmer (due to location of the proc). I'll probably ramp up settings later to see what it can do; as long as it doesn't top 85°C then I'm okay with it.

Ironically enough an Open GL/Open Cl program/game called Bridge Construction Set from 2004 makes more heat; using that I'll get my GPU to 85 in 20 minutes, with my CPU around 60-65°C.

Just food for thought. Your iMac should do just fine.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

7. sportster macrumors 6502

I've been playing StarCraft II beta for some time now on my 4 year old iMac. It has a 2.4 GHz C2D, 4gb ram, and the ATI HD2600. I play it with no issues on the default setting form when it loaded...

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Plus your iMac can obviously do timetravels - since it was released 3 years ago but yours is 4 years old. :)

9. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

You could probably put everything the special effects on high. The special effects always slow my mac down really bad for some reason. But you can easily run it at low or medium without any problems. It's free for download right now at battle.net.

10. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Default settings are based on your specs. That's what that download they had you do before they released the beta to get some spec info.

11. sportster macrumors 6502

Thanks ever so much for catching that for me! What would we do without your ultimate wisdom and knowledge of release dates for the iMac's. ;)

Sorry for the mistake, my bad... It was purchased right over 3 years ago.

12. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

I don't really care about high settings as long as i can play it without any lag aka frame rate drop. Any idea where i can get the beta or demo? Btw thanks for the feedback loving it

13. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Go to www.battle.net, also check out the guide in my signature. If you read it before you play, you might not have to start so low in the ranks. It takes quite a long time it seems like to go up in rank. Like I was rank 1 silver for like 3 days strait until I was promoted up. Shokz Guide defiantly helped me a lot. Replays are also really good.

14. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

15. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Sorry if my comment came across the wrong way - I didn't mean to be rude or anything. I just have an iMac from the same generation. :)

Since your gpu is on the recommended list I wouldn't worry. Just tweak the settings the way you like it. Either native resolution with lower settings or reduce the resolution to be able to get higher settings.

16. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Beta phase 2 ends today. You won't be able to play until next Tuesday when the game is released. I've been playing on the specs below on medium. Game looks and runs great. I can't wait for the single player missions.

17. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

I to cannot wait for the single player campaign. Also who all ordered the collectors edition? Who ordered Standard?

I ordered the collector.

18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I think the OP answered his own question in this original post. He meets recommended requirements which are above minimum. He should have a solid gaming experience.

19. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

At least a 'recommended' game experience. The first unibody pros are pretty good. I might up my memory to help. Running 2 Gb with the 9600M.

20. aki macrumors 6502a

I originally ordered Collector's. Then had to cancel it because of that region lock stuff (was the wrong region). I presumed by now all Collector's Edns would be spoken for but then just yesterday I got the chance to preorder a Collector's Edn again (better, if not perfect, region). Given that now Bliz claim they will enable x-region play "at some time in the future", I'm wondering if I should sweep it up. Or not. At first I had no doubts at all but now - bleargh, it's a lot of money. Sigh.

21. pbelmore macrumors member

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is that true? I have a ~2 year old MacBook and I've been crossing my fingers that I can still run SC2, even if it has to be on the lowest settings.

Anyone know if the game has any system checking involved (similar to what I recall the Aperture demo doing a few years ago), or will it still run - albeit poorly - on a system below the minimum requirements?

22. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

23. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

if your iMac is getting that bad of a score....i wonder what my 13" mbp is in for

24. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

You'll be FINE. Those benchmarks were at maximum settings, and maximum resolution.