starcraft II gpu requirements

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by otis123, Feb 9, 2009.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

so how much memory will SCII demand of a gpu? im thinking 128mb minimum, but ive also read (maybe on someones coocoo SC site) 512mb minimum, what are you guys thinking? i bet any mac apple sells right now, except the baseline iMac will be fine.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Have you tried google?

http://www.starcraftwire.net/articles/comments/starcraft-2-graphics-requirements-confirmed

Minumum Requirements
    GFX: GeForce 7/8 Series or Radeon 1000/2000 with 256 MB RAM
    CPU: Pentium 4
    RAM: 1 GB
    Internet: ADSL 1 Mbit

Recommended Requirements
    GFX: GeForce 8000 or Radeon 2000 series with 512 MB RAM
    CPU: Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2.
    RAM: 2 GB
    Internet: ADSL 3 Mbit

Optimal Requirements
    GFX: Geforce 9000er or Radeon 3000er Series
    CPU: Core 2 Duo 3 GHz or Athlon X2
    RAM: 2GB with DualChannel mode

3. MacRumors Guy macrumors member

4. LeordRedhammer macrumors newbie

Depends on what you mean, but they are basically re-writes from official tech spec sheets from Blizzard, leaked by AMD.

There ARE no official SC2 specs, but there is absolutely no reason not to trust the above. If you feel unsure, read through Kalos' other Chronicles on the topic, and you'll likely change your mind =)

5. MacRumors Guy macrumors member

I just skimmed through Kalo's articles and I haven't found any evidence for the specs apart from the official Shader 2.0 req.

6. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

This is all moot since the game won't see the light of day for years*. Who knows what the system requirements will be at the end of development.

* I'm hoping it's sooner but I don't want to get my hopes up. This is my most anticipated game ever.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Although the Req are speculation and not official, these req are concluded from seeing a build run on an asus gaming laptop at certain settings and figuring the min req. should be pretty close.

here's the article
    http://www.starcraftwire.net/articles/comments/starcraft-ii-specs-emerge/

This is a nice laptop that can run it at max/high settings smooth framerates
    so the site's recommendations are:
    So I would say any Aluminum MacBook should be fine and the MBP's are set too even w/ the 8600

8. rbarris macrumors 6502

The number of years remaining really depends on which planet's year you choose as a basis for measurement. Some planets go around the sun really fast.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Tease.

10. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Im guessing at least 128 but NEVER base weather a game will play or not based on the VRAM. Speed is more important than that.

11. pooky macrumors 6502

I remember when this was announced, and my first generation Core Duo Macbook Pro seemed relatively new.

The longer I wait, the more anxious I get. Hope I don't have to buy a new computer just to play SC2, but if they make me, I will.

12. aluminumapple macrumors regular

im guessing my new 2.4 ghz macbook cant play it on max settings ( tears)

13. angelneo macrumors 68000

That's a whopping 1TB Laptop!

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It's a just guesses, but usually blizzard games are forgiving with the hardware and they have decent performance on last generations midrange cards.
    If the games is out this year I guess previous gen Macbook Pros and iMacs will be playable on low/med settings. (I'm referring to 8600mGT and Ati2600).

This is all wild guesses tho.

As for blizzard using time to release games, perhaps we still play and love their aging games because they spent the time to make them good!

15. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

That's exactly how I also felt... humf.... c'mon SC2... let the GMA950 be your friend.