Starcraft issue

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by consumedsoul, May 20, 2008.

1. consumedsoul macrumors regular

I just downloaded Starcraft from the online store and am having an issue w/ the application crashing after a few seconds right after I open.

Anyone else experiencing this issue by chance?

2. Stopsignguy macrumors member

What online store are you talking about? I didn't know that you could buy SC on an online store.

Anyways try to update SC to the latest patch manually by going to the Blizzard site and downloading it. The crash may be due to the application version being the older PowerPC version before a patch came out to make it Universal.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem is. If that doesn't work, email the company that you bought it from on the store.

3. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Stopsignguy, Blizzard now has an online store with direct downloads. Pretty awesome.

4. rchalico macrumors newbie

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, except there isn't a Universal patch for Starcraft, and there won't ever be one. (Unless you consider Starcraft 2 a "patch". ;) )

--Eric

6. Thedutchjelle macrumors newbie

Uh?

There is a patch that enables people to play Starcraft on OS X. I can run it on my Intel Mac with Leopard, and on my old PPC 10.4.11 iMac. Or is that not what you meant? >_>'

7. consumedsoul thread starter macrumors regular

Download for Mac available

You can purchase/download now from [PC or Mac]:

http://www.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=110000124

I downloaded the other day, installed, but am unable to run the app [as soon as launching it just automatically quits a few seconds later]. Was just curious if anyone else was seeing the issue.

8. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

That makes it a native OS X application, but not universal. Universal means that the program was written/compiled for both PowerPC and Intel processors. A program that's only for PowerPC processors (like Starcraft) will run on Intel machines using an emulation technique called Rosetta, at a considerable loss of performance. That isn't noticeable with Starcraft though, as it's such a lightweight game for today's standars.

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

As Sijmen says, the OS X patch has nothing to do with the app being Universal. If you do a Get Info on the app, you'll see it says "Kind: Application (PowerPC)", and not "Application (Universal)".

--Eric

10. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Thanks for translating that to English :p

11. Petey05 macrumors newbie

Just FYI:

OSX 10.5.3 breaks Starcraft on Macbooks.

12. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Great, I just upgraded to 10.5.3.. =(

It worked on my Penryn Blackbook with 10.5.2, so I don't understand the comment about 10.5.3 not fixing it. I installed it from a "Battlechest" CD-ROM, and it worked great. Then I did software update, and that's all she wrote..

13. miker83 macrumors newbie

same issue here.. I just downloaded StarCraft from Blizzard and it installs fine, but crashes after the options dialog.

The recent 10.5.3 update does not fix it at all. I have a Penryn MacbookPro from late Feb '08. (I posted on the battle.net forums my info).

I have to resort to running Windows on VMware Fusion to play the game. It's a bit glitchy, but it will have to do until they patch this up.

-miker

14. dperez398 macrumors newbie

Figures that this sort of thing would happen right when I decide to try to install the game on my Macbook. :( I installed it last night and manually installed the patch, but I'm having the same launch and close issue. Any idea when and in what form there'll be a fix for this?

15. consumedsoul thread starter macrumors regular

No response from Blizzard

I've sent 5 recent emails about this to macsupport@blizzard.com w/o response from them. :(

16. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Their mac support is generally pretty awesome.
    When did you send the emails? I'd still give them at least 24 hours to respond.
    Also, if you email them on a weekend they might not get it until Monday.

Their forums are probably the best place to go though.

17. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

So a purchase from their online sore gives you access to both the PC and Mac versions then?

18. consumedsoul thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah - emails haven't been responded to for the past 3 wks now... odd. :(

19. consumedsoul thread starter macrumors regular

I believe I had to select the Mac version.

20. miker83 macrumors newbie

I think the downloader.app includes both the mac (.app) and pc (.exe) installers. So you don't need to download it twice.

21. DaSal macrumors regular

Works for me on my Macbook (even on 10.5.3), works fine, except they still haven't fixed the stuck mouse cursor bug. On my Mac Pro it won't run at all though, same problem that you're having.

Interestingly, even on boot camp, it will RUN but it'll lock up after about 15 minutes.

Very annoying...:(

22. xaox macrumors newbie

I can confirm Starcraft crashes on a macbook with 10.5.3. It crashes just after the options dialog.

Here is the response I received from Blizzard:

Thanks for contacting Blizzard Technical Support, my name is ******. I see that you are using a Macintosh running 10.5.3. We have had many reports regarding problems with this setup and the recent OS update. This issue is affecting SC, D2 and WoW players. Unfortunately this is not something we can resolve through troubleshooting. We are working with Apple to resolve the issue though. I apologize for any frustration it may cause.

You can find more information regarding this on our forums. I recommend checking here for updates:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=6760111729&sid=1

23. logancillo macrumors newbie

starcraft2 crashes on macbook pro 08

hi, i can confirm that sc2 crashes on my macbook pro bought on 2008, v10.6.4 with 2 gbs

i already sent the crash data to blizzard so if i know something i ll post it

un saludo

24. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502

My iMac hates the Starcraft II disc. It just wont read it and spits it out. It's been in and out quite a few times and is now scratched to hell :( It made some weird noises.

Yet when I bootcamp into Windows 7 the disc is accepted fine and it installs.

So now I have a scratched disc less than a day old, and it only works in Windows. I downloaded the downloader for OSX but it reckons it will take 3 days to download. Guess their servers are being slammed.

Shame :( Really wanted it under OSX. Nevermind, suppose it will perform better under windows on the same machine eh :cool:

[eit] oops thought this was for SCII

25. Martchap macrumors newbie

Solution!

Hello everyone, i solved this launch problem by inserting the installation disk to my drive! (and i just made an account on this forum to tell you!) :)