Starcraft OS X installer not mounting

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Ornryactor, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Ornryactor macrumors newbie

I just found out that Starcraft has native support for OS X. I downloaded the OS X installer from Apple and tried to mount/run it. When I do, I just get a Warning window that says the disk image is "not recognized", with no further explanation. A reboot of the computer (G4 iBook) made no difference, nor did re-downloading the installer. I've looked in a variety of forums online, but haven't been able to find anybody that's had this problem. I've been reading the MacRumors forums for quite a while now, and I'm hoping one of you good folks knows how to fix this problem. I'm really hoping to have some mobile Starcraft... Thanks in advance!

2. imassents macrumors 6502

I've seen this happen when using Firefox to download their files. Firefox (and possibly some others) do not recognise Blizzards ftp site being full and will "download" their server full website as the actual file. The downloaded website filesize is about 8kB, the installer is much larger. The correct installer is this one
    http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/patches/Mac/StarCraft_OS_X_Installer.dmg
    and it is about 9.7MB in size.

Blizzard's ftp site has been fairly full over the last month or so. It may take a while before you get a space to download it fully. I think this mirror works
    http://files.filefront.com/StarCraft+OS+X+Installerdmg/;4882893;/fileinfo.html

3. IanC macrumors regular

Yeah i had trouble getting the latest Starcraft patch a week or so back.

If you can get the 2 disc Blizzard Best Sellers re-release of Starcraft + Brood Wars that should already have the Mac OS X installer on the discs. Sure surprised me when i got it! (yes im late at getting this game....)

4. Ornryactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! The FileFront mirror worked. It literally never would have crossed my mind that Firefox was downloading the 'server full' message as an actual file... Thanks so much for the help! And yeah, if I see the SC 2-pack for $10 somewhere, I'll pick it up. Thanks for your help, guys.

5. Ornryactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Aaaand I spoke too soon. The installer worked fine, but now I can't find a single place to download the patch 1.15.2 for Mac. Not a lot of places have it, and every one I try the server is full, and I just download the message instead. Got any mirrors you've found that seem to be working?

6. Ornryactor thread starter macrumors newbie

I was finally able to get the patch, though I had to use Internet Explorer on a Windows machine to do it... I got it here:

http://www.fz.se/filer/?id=5160

Now (naturally) I have another problem: isn't 1.15.2 supposed to make the game CD-free, so you can play without the disc? Unless I somehow did something wrong in the install process, it isn't working for me. I still need the disc to play. I followed the instructions on Blizzard's patch page for OS X, but some of the names don't exactly match up. Any ideas? Is there another way to crack the game to play without the CDs in?

7. imassents macrumors 6502

So you copied Starcraft Archive and Brood War Archive off your CDs and placed them into your Starcraft Files folder located in your Starcraft folder? What filenames didn't match up?

8. Ornryactor thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I hadn't done that. I didn't understand that's what I was being instructed to do. I did that, and it worked. Both games now run without discs, and my version shows as 1.15.2, which is correct. And, as is obviously the pattern here, I have another problem. I can't connect to Battlenet.

It gives me a message saying it couldn't "properly identify your application version". Both the game and Blizzard's site say to uninstall and reinstall, and if that doesn't work, then check for viruses. I don't think that's the problem; I seem to remember reading about this. Is it because of the 1.15 patch? I'm running Tiger, not Leopard. Is there any way to get on Battlenet?