StarCraft WOL on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by messiry, Feb 27, 2013.

1. messiry macrumors member

Dear gamers, i just got my new iMac with 680MX and would like to play StarCraft WOL, shall i play it under Mac OSX, or under WinXP, in other words will i get better performance, graphics, etc under WinXP or Mac OSX?

Thank you for your kind reply
    Cheers!

2. Towelie1288 macrumors regular

Towelie1288

starcraft 2 runs great on max settings on OSX
    very smooth

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

What's your hard drive situation? Fusion drive, is Windows on a seperate disk etc?

4. Jindra12 macrumors newbie

OSX runs very well because the starcraft 2 was created for OSX and Window OS.

5. Zav macrumors member

I've only got a base 2011 iMac (with a RAM upgrade) and every game I throw at it runs really well. I've noticed that if you use native platforms I.e Feral or Blizzard games, the Mac will run a HELL of a lot better than a cider wrapper or wineskin. I play at lot of Guild Wars 2 and it suffers a bit on OSX because it users a cider wrapper, still runs okay though. Most will still run smooth on your machine regardless of being native or not. But I'd stick to those that are.

If you find yourself wanting to play more and more ported games, maybe consider bootcamp.

6. messiry thread starter macrumors member

I have 1TB fusion, however currently i dont have bootcamp, running native osx

----------

many thanks everyone, your inputs are highly appreciated. i will go ahead and run it under mac osx :) i like using mac natively, i was just confused as i read on another thread here (680MX benchmark) and everyone is playing under windows, so i thought it better using the 680MX under winxp..

regards

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

It is better to run Starcraft II under Windows. It's just that it runs pretty well under OS X, too. Not as well as Windows (same goes for Diablo III), but it runs well enough.

8. Serban Suspended

If you run On Mac you get the ssd advantage, if you run under Windows 7(Not Xp) you will have better graphic drivers

9. tommy0614 macrumors member

Interesting. Do you mean that games that are played on windows bootcamps hard drive will not run as good as windows games loaded on the Mac SSD?

10. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I guess he just means load times will be quicker.

I'd say many times the difference between gaming on OS X and Windows on the same hardware is that in Windows the frames per second (FPS) stay a bit higher when there's a lot of action on the screen. For example in Stacraft 2 you won't notice a difference between the two plattforms until a certain amount things are going on in view. So, generally it is better to game in Windows, but I think on the current iMac maxed out with the 680MX it Starcraft should run well with all graphics settings maxed out in the game. Stil, I'm quite sure you wil notice when immense action takes place (two massive troops having a fight) – the frame rate should drop, even on that hardware.