starcraft2 performance review on the new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gagaliya, May 2, 2010.

1. gagaliya macrumors 6502

15" base model i5 mbp with standard res screen, intel x-25m g2 ssd, windows 7 ultimate.

Starcraft2 beta running with most items on high setting except texture/shadow on medium, played two multiplayer games, no performance lag whatsoever. More than enough to handle the game.

fyi for anyone still wondering....

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Usually if Starcraft2 is not running at around 60fps, you experience choppy panning.

3. seitou macrumors newbie

I somewhat agree...there is some noticable performance differences when going from higher graphics settins to lower ones.

4. Bisz macrumors regular

Is the general consensus that you should run SC2 in windows and not OSX?

Will SC2 run in XP?

5. gagaliya thread starter macrumors 6502

No lag while zooming, and i was zooming a lot on accident due to the touchpad, tried on purpose to have about 8 carriers and still no lag, those usually lag the game with all the little ships. (btw very bad idea to have just carriers, they got destroyed so easily lol)

xp should be similar performance to windows 7 (meaning very playable), but if you are installing it on a new mbp, go with windows 7 64bit, it is a much better os than xp (unlike vista)

never bothered to play any games on mac os x, there are reports sc2 runs choppy under osx, just not worth it....

Another thing i hate about apple is they dont let you upgrade the video card driver. I went to nvidia website downloaded the latest driver(which is several versions ahead of the driver under windows bootcamp) for 330m gt and try to install under windows 7, but it said cant install you have to use vendor video driver....stupid apple

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There are modder tools out in there that kill this vendor test and install the driver anyway. There might be some small bugs or problems but it usually works quite well.

7. Vursz macrumors newbie

Is anyone else using the Mac beta? I just started trying it out yesterday (on a 2009 MBP) and it works pretty well...a little laggy occasionally on medium-high settings, but definitely playable.

Is the Windows beta better than the Mac version?

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I have both the windows and mac beta for sc2. windows runs better so far. mac version seems to get random screen flickering and the overall fps is much lower it feels like.

Both versions suffer from choppy panning when fps is below 50 or so.

Zooming is not panning.

I find myself running with lowest settings baring cpu settings and texture/native resolution when I play poeple, so I can see better. With these settings on the iMac I get around 100-200 fps depending on what's going on.

9. gagaliya thread starter macrumors 6502

what do you mean by panning then? can you give me the keyboard/mouse combinations for that, want to try it out to see if it lags.

10. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I just mean moving the screen around, either by use of moving cursor to edge of screen or using the arrow keys. Having fluid and fast panning is essential for microing, but from my experience and others' experiences, it doesn't give you smooth panning unless fps is high.

11. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

I have yet to test starcraft 2 with my 13" 2.4ghz 320M

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

The mac beta runs perfect on OSX. No lag or problems for me.