Stardom Safe for Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ebev1234, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ebev1234 macrumors newbie

I recently came across an external hard drive that works with time capsule. I need to have more space in the time capsule but a 2TB capsule cost well into the $500.00 range. This external drive plugs in by usb and it will allow you to make separate backups too. It is totally compatible to Mac. Has anyone out there ever heard of it the cost is $79.00 for 2TB. It actually fits on the bottom of the capsule it also has 4 usb in the back and a firewire and looks like a part of time capsule. i would love any info anyone has on it.
    Thanks Emil ebev1234@verizon.net

2. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Note that this is not a 2TB drive for $79 - it's an *enclosure* that supports up to 2TB drives. You're looking at another $150 or so to actually put hard drives in the thing.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It's an attractive product, but seems not to have gotten much in the way of reviews or discussion, let alone promotion by vendors.

I opted for a normal external drive from OWC that I've plugged into the USB port on my TC. Works fine, but I need to get a hub so I can add back the printer.

4. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I have one. Pretty easy to setup. It is just an enclosure tho, you need to provide the hard drives. I'm not using the mirroring option on it though. Its pretty loud when you first turn it on, but once the fans kick on for a sec or so it runs pretty good

5. RANDY P macrumors newbie

I use the Seagate GoFlex Desk thru USB- 1TB

under $80 on sale at Best buy. Works flawlessly with Time Capsule

6. Mac Heretic, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Mac Heretic macrumors member

Stardom's unit is quite solid and pretty, but you should be aware, that its fan is definitely loud. The sound can be heard from meters away in an otherwise silent environment. That fan also has low radius, and so its pitch is quite high, which can be annoying.