Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
well i went and bought a powerpc 3400c for a hundred bucks today. i still don't know poop about the mac or it's operating systems but i have a working machine. thanks to Rov and some other kool mac'ers i got some good links. anyone have a link to an upgrade site for my new unit. i will say this unit has just about everything in good working order. the battery works. it has a nice carry case. and a zip drive. i would like a cdrw and some more ram. would os9 or x run on it. has a 2 gig drive i believe. im just now figuring out how to access system info. any ideas on how to enter bios? thanks you all

Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2002
You should stick with OS9 since your PowerBook does not support OS X. There are tools to install OS X on machine that do not support but I advice you to not install OS X on the 3400. Sorry, but it's just too slow. :)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: starfleet4's new powerpc 3400c

Originally posted by starfleet4
any ideas on how to enter bios? thanks you all

BIOS?

We don't have/need/want BIOS.

We do have Open Firmware, but you do not want to mess with Open Firmware unless you absolutely have to.

Also, as far as I know, you cannot install OSX on that machine with XPostFacto, so you're limited to OS 9.1.

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
thanks for the info people. i'm getting a little used to accessing files and programs on this unit however, i dont see a file or .exe program extention for internet explorer or mozilla, etc. i dont know how to access the web or email even though i have configured my email account and changed the computer's name, info etc, to me. i have a zip drive but need a floppy or cd-rom drive to tranfer info/programs to the unit. i could download them on one of my other four networked pc's. if i could figure out the network protocols i could network it to my home network and transfer the files likewise from pc to pc [ er' i mean pc to mac]LOL.
i'm running xp home qand xp pro on the other machines. any ideas?
thanks for posting.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
thanks for the info people. i'm getting a little used to accessing files and programs on this unit however, i dont see a file or .exe program extention for internet explorer or mozilla, etc. i dont know how to access the web or email even though i have configured my email account and changed the computer's name, info etc, to me. i have a zip drive but need a floppy or cd-rom drive to tranfer info/programs to the unit. i could download them on one of my other four networked pc's. if i could figure out the network protocols i could network it to my home network and transfer the files likewise from pc to pc [ er' i mean pc to mac]LOL.
i'm running xp home qand xp pro on the other machines. any ideas?
thanks for posting.

Here's the first step. Try to think logically. I know this is hard coming from a windows world... but it will get you very far on the mac os.

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
thank you mr. spock. no doubt. however, " do you hear the sound of the grasshopper which is at your feet"? LOL
thanks. i am doing just that in all things

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I recieved an early Christmas present from our Tech Coordinator (2) Powerbook 150's today! Ha Ha...

One works great running system 7.5.2, the other one I can't get to turn on, I don't know what is wrong with it.

I loaded Clarisworks 3 on it...using 4 floppies! HaHa, the floppy drive really grinds away, it actually runs pretty snappy, not bad for 33Mhz! I think it has a 120MB HD and 4MB of RAM.

I have no idea what I will do with these Powerbooks, I think they both are in need of new batteries, probably not available anymore. My 5th graders think they are the coolest thing they ever saw...but like they said, "One does nothing, and the other doesn't do much!" The are both in brand new condition. If I can get new batteries and get the one that is down working, I will let them use them at the desk for work processing and then save to the floppy and print from one of the PC's.

People who complain about today's iBooks and Powerbooks, must have never tried out a Powerbook 150! Isn't it funny, it was only 8 years ago those things were new. Any other ideas on what I can do with them. They are like new. Are they worth saving for an antique someday?

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
hey. are you new to mac as i am? i need to find instasllation disk so i can reinstall the os and then i'll be sure to have the unit as it was when it was first sent out.
having a 2.0 ghz p4 with 768mb of ddr ram this old powerbook 3400c is painful to use with its speed and it does lock up sometimes but it is facinating. good luck with yours. i hope installing is as easy as it is on a pc for me.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
No I am not new to Macs...I started out in high school on LCIII's. Those replaced our IIe's, but first Mac I owned was my Blueberry iMac DV in 2000 and last winter I bought an iBook 600.

I was just telling all about my awesome (or not) Christmas present. The Powerbook you have is about 100 times the free Powerbooks I received, but I am always facinated by the old Macs.

I would recommend that you clean your Powerbook and install a system 8.6. I have been told by many that 8.6 gives you about the same functionality as OS9+ but it is not quite as "taxing" on the system and will give you better performance.

I run OSX 10.2.3 on my Macs and love it, but even if you could I would NEVER recommend OSX on anything less then a G3. I heard some people have gotten around this, but I don't see a 601 class PowerPC would be able to handle OSX.

I think you will find it to be a fun, capable computer. I have an old PowerPC 6100 in my classroom, and it does quite a bit for it's age, much more impressive then some old 166Mhz PC's we have.

Maybe if you become interested enough in Apple you will try out a new iBook 800, I think you would be impressed with OSX and the new iBooks.

Later

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
kool. i downloaded some mac programs compatible for my unit and 0s 8.1. i transfered them to a 100mb zip disk but when my mac reads them their icons have a pc on it and when i open the files i get an error message and a window with other program choices to open the file. no luck. any suggestions?
thanks

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
kool. i downloaded some mac programs compatible for my unit and 0s 8.1. i transfered them to a 100mb zip disk but when my mac reads them their icons have a pc on it and when i open the files i get an error message and a window with other program choices to open the file. no luck. any suggestions?
thanks

Sounds like you have alot of fun on your hands this vacation :).

Does this 3400c come with a network card/port? hook it up to your network if you do and tell one of your xp home machines to share it's internet connection then you can download right to it.

You need a web browser for that, like you said you were looking for. I'm not sure if it will have IE on it, but did you look for netscape? Also, I think there was something called CyberDog or something like that which you could use to download stuff with. Do you have a 9.x install CD (I'm guessing not), otherwise borrow one from a friend (hopfully, since you know about macs you know someone with one :)). When I got my 7100/80 I just asked a professor I knew who had a Mac (I didn't even know him, just saw the mac through the door, and he lent me the CD and the old student Matlab! he always asks how my mac is doin' when ever I see him now :)).

Hope this helps,

-- bert :cool:

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
thanks for the info. unfortunately it appears that the previous owner of this machine chose to delete alot of files needed for the machine to install programs. i dont have a cdrom for it either. as far as i can tell there is no web browser. there is an email client and something called eudora. but even when i click on files on the zip drive that i know are compatible there is no installer file. when i run stuffit [ an option i choose to open the file ] stuufit tells me i need version 4.5 or better for full functionality. i downloaded stuffit, burned it to a zip and i see no installer file and get the same message that"could not find the application program that created the document named "......"
to open the document, select an alternate program with or without translation"
i dont have a clue. i wonder if i get a cdrom drive and a copy of os.....-0s 9. if it will install or will i be pulling teeth again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.