Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
What does everybody think of this show? My wife thinks I'm a nerd. I had never watched it before but I kept hearing good things about it. Also, none of my shows I watch, like 24, are new now so I don't have anything to watch. SciFi started showing it from the beginning a couple weeks ago and it is pretty good. I was really surprised. What is the opinion of the board?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I like the show and have seen every episode though out the 4 seasons. I started watching it about 1/2 throw season one.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Disclaimer: I've only seen the two seasons of Atlantis.

SG-1 was a lot better than Atlantis in my opinion. I've seen every episode of SG-1 and found it a lot more addicting than Atlantis. It also fills in some of the back story on Atlantis, although it isn't necessary to watch SG-1 first. My favorite thing about the early seasons of SG-1 is it's the lowly humans outsmarting the technologically advanced aliens, whereas Atlantis seems to be lots of disconnected stories. Plus SG-1 has Richard Dean Anderson (aka MacGyver) and it's full of cultural references and inside jokes. Which ever series you watch, you'll be bound to enjoy it though. :)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Yeah, I've never watched any of these spacey shows. It makes me worry someone will ask me to return my nerd credentials. So let's just keep this between friends, OK?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thought I'd "raise" this Atlantis thread... :D

MGM and The SciFi Channel (NBC) have decided mutually to cancel the series. Season 5 is the last season.

Like SG-1, Atlantis will live on with direct-to-DVD movies. Unlike SG-1, SciFi Channel plans to air the Atlantis movies right before the DVD release.

As wonderful Apple and MGM are, look for the shows on iTunes.

The go-ahead for the new series, Stargate Universe, is approved.

It's essentially an Ancient warship with a gate (accessible by the ninth chevron) that a team arrives on, gets trapped on as it goes through space uncontrolled. The team gates down to near planets for their adventures.

Fans are calling it "Stargate Voyager" or "Stargate 1999" :eek:

In addition to it's most popular, Wrestling, SciFi (short for "Science Fiction" :mad:) is adding more horror, and reality shows...

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Whoa! I didn't know they were gonna cancel it :(

I haven't been able to keep up with it with my travel schedule, but I did enjoy it. Of course it wasn't as good as SG-1 ;)

Considering the Hologram Dr. from Voyager showed up, I guess it makes Universe sound more like Voyager to me :D

I haven't had a chance to see the new SG-1 movies yet, are they any good?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
^^^ the movies are awesome.

Ark Of Truth is available on HD Rental on AppleTV, and Continuum (I assume will be also) and is on Blu-ray...

Hopefully, we will see Ark of Truth on Blu-ray, and the Atlantis movies as well.

DigiCatRedux

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Somewhere in New England, USA.
I preferred the original over Atlantis- just my opinion, but I thought the story writing was a tad better, and of course having McGyver there injecting his quips and humorous comments through the show always makes me smile.

But Atlantis isn't BAD by any means - stacked up next to other SciFi shows that have aired, it's pretty good. (anyone remember "Lexx"or "Cleopatra 2525"? if Not, consider yourself lucky). At least the show has enough interesting characters to compel me to return for next weeks adventure, time and again.

Right now Battlestar Galactica is another fave- great writing, lets hope they allow it to finish up with a logical & deserved ending... unlike the show Farscape, that they aborted for reasons that still mystify me.

And yes, the Stargate movies have been pretty swell, in my opinion too.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Cheers for the info gkarris! I hadn't heard about Universe - interesting..

I've been a long-time fan of SG1, but it took me a while to warm to Atlantis. It just seemed a bit (even) more silly/fanciful than SG1; and I generally like my SciFi quite dark.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I preferred the original over Atlantis- just my opinion, but I thought the story writing was a tad better, and of course having McGyver there injecting his quips and humorous comments through the show always makes me smile.

But Atlantis isn't BAD by any means - stacked up next to other SciFi shows that have aired, it's pretty good. (anyone remember "Lexx"or "Cleopatra 2525"? if Not, consider yourself lucky). At least the show has enough interesting characters to compel me to return for next weeks adventure, time and again.

Right now Battlestar Galactica is another fave- great writing, lets hope they allow it to finish up with a logical & deserved ending... unlike the show Farscape, that they aborted for reasons that still mystify me.

And yes, the Stargate movies have been pretty swell, in my opinion too.

NBC/Universal, who owns BG, believes that expensive shows, like Sci-Fi, shouldn't really go past 4 seasons. Leading to Farscape, which on its fourth season, got cancelled when NBC purchased USA Networks (the SciFi Channel was part of that family of stations).

At least Farscape (which originally was meant as a 5 season saga) got to finish up with a mini-series (after much fan pressure and the fact that the last episode ended with the original cliffhanger - not a rewrite).

I talked with others at our recent Stargate Con and the nice thing is studios don't have to rely on stations to broadcast shows! We now have the Internet to download or watch them on! We also have direct-to-disc, which with the new SG-1 movies, was extremely successful (don't forget disc rentals as well).

DigiCatRedux

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Somewhere in New England, USA.
I will say, I was glad the powers that be did give Farscape some kind of ending. But anyhow- not to thead-jack, that was nice information you gave about Stargate:Universe... I myself hadn't heard anything about that at all.

Sweet. I'll be watching the development as it goes along.
Nice to know we have some knowledgeable Sci-Fi "geeks" to direct questions at, round here. Thanks again!

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I have never watched SG1. Is it pretty good?

I watched a few episodes here and there and enjoyed the ones I saw--so much that I bought all ten seasons--it is a really cool show imho--kind of like the original Star Trek in some ways--discovering new lands and races.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.