Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
Ohmeohmom said:
to the TV shows section.

Great , now make that 480P and let me burn them to DVD and i'll consider it. Honestly I can't wait till DVD Players have H.264 decoders like they do DIVX then we can download at half the rate with lossless quality then burn them. I honestly think H.264 in a year or two will do for DVD what MP3 did for CD's.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
It's about time...

Eeexcellent.

Attachments

• Mr_Burns.png
    Mr_Burns.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 62

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Great

I got tired of waiting for season 9 to be released state side so I imported it all the available volumes along with Peacekeeper Wars from the UK. I'm not the biggest Stargate fan, but now that I have finally finished watching all of Farscape I need my Ben Browder/Claudia Black fix.
Don't even own an iPod, but I think I'll download episode 200 first. iTMS doesn't do back episodes from previous seasons? Wait now I remember why I never use iTMS... I still have dai-up. :(

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
About damn time. However all I will ever use it for is missed episodes. I own every season that is available on DVD and those that aren't, yet, I have on DIVX; which will get replaced when they do come out on DVD. :D Now if they would only get Eureka on iTMS. I've missed a few episodes and it doesn't have the same following that SG1 has on bittorrent. :(

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
200th episode was one of those where you either love it or hate it. Or you thought it was ok. I thought it was great, with some slow spots, but still fun overall. Lots on in jokes, even though I haven't seen every ep, and some funny stuff about other shows in the same genre. Friend of mine didn't like it, but she's a hardcore fan. You know, one of those.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Great shows, especially SG-1. As Jiggie2g said, however, they would need to be 480p for me to pay for them. Why would people pay for something in 320x240 when it can be found at HD or near-HD resolutions on most torrent sites?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Xeem said:
Great shows, especially SG-1. As Jiggie2g said, however, they would need to be 480p for me to pay for them. Why would people pay for something in 320x240 when it can be found at HD or near-HD resolutions on most torrent sites?
Um, because downloading TV shows from Bittorrent sites is, I don't know, ILLEGAL?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I love SG-1 and Atlantis. I really loved the 200th episode. So many twists and turns. But I liked the little plug for Farscape. :) :p

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
zflauaus said:
I love SG-1 and Atlantis. I really loved the 200th episode. So many twists and turns. But I liked the little plug for Farscape. :) :p

I just saw it this evening. You'll excuse me now. I need to go to the ER because I think I am hemorrhaging somewhere from laughing so hard.

PS- The marionette. . . *dies laughing*

Unless you are a hardcore fan half of what they are talking about in 200 will go right over most people's heads.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Get em while you can

clayj said:
Um, because downloading TV shows from Bittorrent sites is, I don't know, ILLEGAL?
This has been cited by Scifi as one of the reasons the ratings are so low this season on both shows. Downloading and DVRs might kill the franchise. The network has been urging people to watch the episodes "live" instead of TiVoing it if you want there to be more seasons. That being said it's funny they're offering downloads.
Does SciFi really have anything going for it besides the Stargate franchise and Battlestar?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
OMG I LOVE STARGATE!

Really, enough said.
I believe I may have to open up an iTMS account if this is available in Aus...
Stargate Rules. Bring on Battlestar Galactica!

But still, DVD quality versus 320x240. I may have to cancel the iTMS account and just buy the DVD's. Although it is certainly annoying still being stuck half way through season 8, when I know u Americans are like up to season twenty million... And we haven't started season 2 of Atlantis yet!

:eek: :mad: :(

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
DISCOMUNICATION said:
This has been cited by Scifi as one of the reasons the ratings are so low this season on both shows. Downloading and DVRs might kill the franchise. The network has been urging people to watch the episodes "live" instead of TiVoing it if you want there to be more seasons. That being said it's funny they're offering downloads.
Does SciFi really have anything going for it besides the Stargate franchise and Battlestar?

Eureka looks like it has "potential". Then you have your occasional miniseries like Riverworld, Dark Kingdom, The Triangle, the Dune series, etc. Its hit or miss, mainly miss, on the made for TV movies but the miniseires seems to be pretty good.
But for all the good that Sci-fi does things like Who wants to be a super hero, the wrestling crap, ghost hunters, etc makes me wonder what the heck demographics they are trying to pull in. Reality TV is pure **** and wrestling caters to the low brow. (No offense to anyone here who actually somehow enjoys it.)

PS- As for the pirating comment. Whatever. I've spent collectively over $400 on the SG1 series on DVD. The fact that they can't bring them out fast enough on ITMS isn't my problem when I can download the latest epi off of bittorrent within 8-12 hours of it airing at a higher res so watching it on my laptop isn't painful. (Woo hoo I'm squinting at my screen but at least its legal.) And also never mind the fact that I'll buy the season set when it comes out on DVD anyways.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
DISCOMUNICATION said:
The network has been urging people to watch the episodes "live" instead of TiVoing it if you want there to be more seasons. That being said it's funny they're offering downloads.

Do they get more revenue from people watching it "live" instead of recorded on a VCR or DVR? Can they tell if it's being recorded or watched "live"?

Not surprising though that they have offered it for download, it provides another revenue stream.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
aviationwiz said:
Do they get more revenue from people watching it "live" instead of recorded on a VCR or DVR? Can they tell if it's being recorded or watched "live"?
Yes, and no.

Nielsen (the ratings people) originally used a diary, wherein each viewing family would record their viewing habits and then forward the diary to Nielsen. But they found that people would lie about what shows they were watching (for example, they'd write down that they were watching Masterpiece Theatre on PBS when they were really watching Hee-Haw on CBS), so...

... they switched to an electronic box that would keep track of what shows the TV was being used to watch... that information would then be relayed to Nielsen in real-time, so they could get instant ratings information. The problem with THAT was that people would turn their TV on to a specific channel and then leave the room... so they weren't actually watching the shows, which is what the advertisers want. So then...

... they switched to a NEW box that not only keeps track of the show that's being watched, but ALSO has an infrared sensor aimed out in front of the TV, so the box can see how many people are actually watching. That works pretty well, unless people are TiVoing/DVRing shows and watching them later on; in that case, the ratings don't reflect that the show is actually being watched.

Looks like Nielsen needs to invent a new box that can account for DVRing... but even if they did, the fact is that people use DVRs to skip past commercials, so again the problem is that the ratings can't really be used to determine ad rates.

It's ironic that better technology that makes it easier/more fun for us to watch our favorite TV shows actually can imperil said TV shows.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Bingo

clayj said:
It's ironic that better technology that makes it easier/more fun for us to watch our favorite TV shows actually can imperil said TV shows.
Exactly! The network seems to think just as many people are watching this season as they were last season. They just can't tell because few people are actaully watching it the night that it airs.
I don't count anyways since I don't have cable. The suits are going to have to figure something out instead of canceling everthing that doesn't rate as well as expected.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Well, it turns out now that this season of Stargate: SG-1 is the FINAL season. Only 15 episodes left!

So it doesn't really matter how we watch it now... it's gonna be canceled one way or the other. (Stargate Atlantis is going to continue for at least one more season after this one.)

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
SG-1 canceled

DISCOMUNICATION said:
Exactly! The network seems to think just as many people are watching this season as they were last season. They just can't tell because few people are actaully watching it the night that it airs.
I don't count anyways since I don't have cable. The suits are going to have to figure something out instead of canceling everthing that doesn't rate as well as expected.
I spoke too soon.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Dont Hurt Me said:
The 200th episode was different for sure, I loved the puppets.:D

That was great - I think one of the things that makes SG-1 better than most is that they're not above making fun of themselves.

The whole Arthur/Camelot thing lately has had a few Monty Python jokes and in the first season I think Capt. Carter said something about Col. O'Neill "McGyvering" something :D

D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Mr. Anderson said:
That was great - I think one of the things that makes SG-1 better than most is that they're not above making fun of themselves.

The whole Arthur/Camelot thing lately has had a few Monty Python jokes and in the first season I think Capt. Carter said something about Col. O'Neill "McGyvering" something :D

D
Seeing Amanda Tapping dressed up as Chiara in the Farscape sequence was priceless. And it was great how Willie Garson (the TV show guy) said "Never heard of it" when Vala described it to him.

Oh, and I kept waiting for Kurt Russell or James Spader to make a cameo, but they never did. That would have been AWESOME.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Mr. Anderson said:

D

"McGyver? Ack, that show was just a paycheck to me. Now I'm all about my new show Stargate SG-1."
SimpsonsRDA12small.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.