Stargate Universe (Season 1)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gkarris, Oct 3, 2009.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Anyone see the new series?

Now available in HD in iTunes, Episodes 1 & 2 (the Pilot) available for FREE on iTunes for a limited time.

Great new Stargate series!

2. walnuts macrumors 6502

Yeah it was good. I was trying to watch it on hulu but got frustrated because it was jumpy and the quality was poor, and to my surprise, there it was on iTunes for free! Nice!

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yeah I watched it. Was great but was missing something that I just can't put my finger on.

4. johnrs macrumors 6502a

yet to watch it but cannot see it for free on iTunes

edit: its not on till tuesday on Sky1 so it might not be on the UK iTunes

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I agree it was missing that "Something", but that's how a lot of series started out. Star Trek TNG was the same, the characters were almost like puppets until the second season.

I thought it was an odd beginning to a series, they moved the initial plot along very quickly. There was no time to really get a feel for any of the characters. A lot of the plot elements were already done elsewhere, its hard to be original these days.

I'm struggling with the hacker kid, I just don't know where his character is going. Thank God they killed the Senator off in the pilot, he was really getting annoying, but Christopher McDonald is great in those roles.

I felt the same way about the terminator series, and just when the writers started to hit a stride and get creative, they pulled the plug on the show. I guess we should be happy Syfy is running this.

I DVR'd the thing and watched it with my 10 year old son. All of the sudden they move to this pointless sex scene in the store room. Yep, this isn't Star Trek, sorry bud! LOL

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Colonial O'Neill is using a MacBook Pro, 15" Unibody with Chess running in the background in 1x03 lol.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's starting to move along but it does feel like it's missing something. At least we aren't supplied a generic adversary this time. Not that I had a problem with the system lords the first time around.

I watched the most recent episodes just to get in on the BAD END(S) I'm anticipating.

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I think Robert Carlyle is a great actor, and surprising to see that he's on a basic cable space opera. I'll stick around for several episodes for sure. Having said that, it seems like they'll be pushing similar plot lines to Battlestar Galactica -- starship trying to find its way home, being chased by an implacable enemy ...

I bet a great ending would be for two angels to debate the remains of a 150,000 fossil ...

mt

9. cribner macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro on General O'Neill's Desk

Yeah, I saw the 15" unibody MBP on General O'Neill's Desk. Stargate used to be all Dells, it's kinda cool to see the Mac. And how like Jack to be playing games! (Chess.app):D

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Here's the screenshot, sorry for the huge box blocking some of the view and sorry for the huge keyboard on the top lol. i don't have an external keyboard and I can't figure out where printscreen is on the integrated one lol

Attached Files:

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Man, that Air Force tiger stripe camo looks even goofier when it's worn on screen by an actor. First time I saw USAF personnel wearing that, I was thinking, man, you can't be serious.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I actually like the new uniforms, dunno why. I always thought the Atlantis uniforms looked Star Trekie

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I don't watch Stargate, so I wouldn't know but that uniform I was poking fun at is the new USAF ABU. I think it's goofy as hell. Maybe shivermetimbers will step up to defend it, but I doubt it. ;)

14. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Just saw the episode (3?) where they landed on the planet to get the much needed (whatever) for their carbon dioxide scrubbers.

Again, it spent way too much time walking through the desert, and the small rebellion that gated to where ever was barely mentioned when they got back, it was like "Oh well, see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya".

No really likeable characters have emerged yet... Seems like they are rushing through the setup to get to the main plotline. If the point is to get home, it's too much like Star Trek Voyager...

15. Buzz Bumble Guest

That's why some people are calling it "Stargate: Voyager". :)

We won't get this new Stargate show down here in New Zealand for a while. They've started playing promo adverts, so we're getting the next (last?) season of Stargate: Atlantis soon ... at least it's on the one network that plays such shows in a sensible timeslot!

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Not just that but the whole style of the show (documentary-like cameras with graininess and such) is a lot like BSG. It was obvious to me from the very first time I heard about SGU that they were going to try to appeal to the BSG audience. And I've always wanted a more serious/adult Stargate (and yes, would love the same for Star Trek - the potential is there!). So I'm definitely going to try to watch it for a time.

I think it may feel lacking "something" in that so far it's emulating stuff from other popular dramas and doesn't have its own style down yet. Will take some time like many series do. As another poster mentioned, early episodes of TNG are weird compared to most of the show. Data especially is fairly creepy.

17. Buzz Bumble Guest

Then it wouldn't be "Stargate" in anything but name ... just like all the other idiotic "remakes" / "updates" / "reboots" coming out of Hollyweird these days. :mad:

If they want to make a different show, they should make a different show, including a new name. They shouldn't ruin established franchises by trying to completely change them ... the fans LIKE the franchise the way it is, that's why they're called "fans".

18. geekgirl macrumors regular

I finally got around to watching the first three episodes, and am completely hooked already. Yay for Eli!

I am not a habitual Stargate watcher, basically because I always seemed to be watching the episodes that were all flashback, dragged terribly, and were difficult to watch if you hadn't been watching the whole time. And with the sheer number of episodes of all of the Stargate flavors, it is impossible to actually catch up. I gave up, and now just watch the occasional episode with my son.

This one has the grittiness that was present in BSG, and the music is very similar as well. The way to best describe it is BSG crossed with Firefly, set in Stargate space. And it has the potential to be very, very good, if it doesn't get cancelled after one season.

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Hey, if you like the originals so much, go watch reruns.

People have been telling variations of the same stories set in the same universe with common themes since different versions of Gilgamesh in the bronze ages. Every old myth and every story worth telling has different versions.

20. Buzz Bumble Guest

I don't need to, I've got the DVDs of the proper, original versions. :p

Yes, and those retellers who had more than a single braincell changed the name of their version along with all the other changes they made. The problem is that most of the current generation in Hollyweird are brainless and talentless hacks simply interested in shovelling more and more money into their own pockets. :(

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

No, they didn't. There's at least 3 written versions of Gilgamesh with the same characters. Every pantheistic mythology has multiple, conflicting stories involving the same characters.

22. Buzz Bumble Guest

I meant retellers in general, not necessarily for the Gilgamesh story (which I've never read).

The idiots who reuse the same name destroy the franchise's continuity ... nobody any longer has any idea what the "real" story is for "franchises" like King Arthur, Robin Hood, or even Superman thanks the fools constantly altering them over the years. :(

23. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I keep trying to tell you, for stuff like King Arthur and Robin Hood - myth and folklore, there IS no original story. There IS no absolute canon. One story is just as valid as another because no one person owns it. They're communally owned. Superman is almost at that point as well.

You may as well be upset that everyone eats their cereal differently.

24. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Wow, nice to see this thread coming along - hard to talk about it at Gate World - too many I guess.

I starting to agree with "Stargate: Voyager" but it's at least new Stargate episodes. I'm a fan of Stargate since the original movie in the theater.

AFA the whole sex stuff - well there was nudity in the original Pilot, and I am going through SG-1 again and I just watched "Brief Candle" (S1E9) and they showed Jack after partaking of the "Marriage Cake".... :eek: ;)

I guess since it was on Showtime it had to have a little bit of raunch - which is why they moved it to SciFi to be more family friendly.

Yes, it was kinda wierd seeing it in SGU, but really nothing more than what was on SG-1 on Showtime...

25. Buzz Bumble Guest

There was an original story. :rolleyes: Whether it was true or not, whether anyone now knows what it is or not (thanks to morons keep chaging it) is completely irrelevant, and largely proves the point that making such changes simply creates a complete mess of the "franchise", as well as smacking original fans in the face as no longer "good enough".