Stargate Universe (Season 2)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Messy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Any fans here?

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s2/

Ive been watching since season one, i prefer the style of filming and overall feel of SGU.

Reminds me a little of the BSG filming? Ok maybe not as dark and dirty, or as edgy, but you can see the similarities.

So anyone here watch it?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey messy!

there already is a SGU thread around here somewhere - but man do i love this show!!!!

i am watching season 2 episode 6 right now. :) its pretty darn good!

3. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh didnt see one, oh well a new one for the new season eh.

Yea 6 is good, reading the synopsis for episode 7 makes me wanna travel forward in time till next week to see it :)

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I have and do, although it hasn't really garnished my interest as much as SG1 and Atlantis have.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh totally! i wish rush would stop messing with my head!

agreed. SG1 rules the roost IMO. i REALLY need to get the entire series!

6. grapes911, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I renamed this thread Stargate Universe (Season 2) and I changed the other to Stargate Universe (Season 1). We've done this for other shows and as long as members keep their comments in the appropriate thread, then I think it works well. Happy discussing SGU!

I do like the show and TiVo every episode, but I still miss SG1 as I felt connected to the characters (yeah I know, it's been years -- get over it). The best part of this season, is I'm finally feeling like I know the crew. It makes it more enjoyable.

7. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

See whilst i liked SG1, i think SGU is a step in the right direction, i wasnt really a fan of SGA even with its crossovers to SG1.

I prefer the more in depth, character driven style of SG with SGU, its a bit darker, I think they've put a lot more thought into how relevant it is for todays viewers.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

uuhh... ok. i hope you made a typo there and didnt double up ;)

sorting by seasons is a great idea though *hint*
    edit: damn you caught it. ;)

totally! mirroring that feeling, they really have gone to a more storyline feel though - it has taken nearly the entire 1.5 seasons to get into it and for us to understand them! they really are pushing for it to last many many seasons (which i hope it does), but i just wanna see more action and maybe give them some bloody power over that ship!!

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It was because of McCay wasn't it? McCay can fix anything, McCay knows everything. All bow before the brilliance of McCay. They should have named him Gary Stu.:rolleyes: For me, Sheppard was the annoying character. He's also a Gary Stu character with an annoying the OC mentality. I actually liked bits of SGA, only the part with McCay and Shep was bad.

I'm liking Universe, although I find Scott pretty darn annoying. Greer and Rush are hands down my favorite. So very anti-McCay/anti-Shep. I'm glad the made Chloe useful or less useless than before. I couldn't stand her in season 1.
    Looks like Rush has Chloe under his thumb and now possibly Scott. I'm waiting for the next Rush/Young I'm in charge confrontation. Could be interesting, since Rush winning would mean he'll tell everyone that he cracked the master code.:)

10. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Greers pretty awesome in my opinion, I like the guy.

I don't mind Scott so much, but a few weeks ago I was watching an episode, and I suddenly thought, "he looks like an elf", -check the guys nose and ears.

I think they have a good dynamic, I like that they're exploring the characters, however I get worried sometimes that they feature too much on this -I'd prefer a little more action, some more CGI, some more spacefights etc. I guess im comparing it to BSG which was constant CGI Scifi blowy uppy goodness.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

good personality, good acting :)

you didnt! now im not going to be able to shake it! grr

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I must have missed an episode or something but can someone tell me how TJ lost the baby? Which episode was this in?

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its part of "Intervention" part 2 & 3. which is season 1 last episode (12?), season 1 episode 1 and episode 2 :)

episode list.

sure, nobody read below if they dont want spoilers.

the ship was taken over by the Alliance, TJ ended up getting shot - they had to sacrifice the baby to save TJ.

for a wierd twist, TJ was taken back to the planet where they left some of the crew (back in season 1) and they took her baby - its now safe. whether or not she dreamt that we dont know, i presume her consciousness was taken out of her to the planet, or something.

14. awmazz macrumors 65816

For me it was Teyla. Made SGA too much lik DS9 with the spiritual Bajoran nonsense and far too predictable/clichéd a character and storylines when she was involved.

I could also suggest the Irish actor Colm Meany from DS9 appearing in SGA as well to make that comparison complete. But SGA really jumped the shark with Lucius. Jumped it twice with Lucius' return. Lost in Space type lack of imagination. How many identical villages/planets did they visit with the predictable "my people have traded with this village/planet, before the Wraith.." Teyla line? And when one of those villages had Lucius in it, the series was doomed.. ;)

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

DoFoT9 Thank you!

I'm not sure if it's just how it's been aired in the UK but they split the first season in a weird and VERY annoying way, which is how I must have missed a couple episodes here and there. I think I may have missed another episode this season too. My DVR box is not always the best at notifying me of recording clashes. :mad:

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no problems!

it was totally odd how they aired it, some episodes had 2 or 3 week gaps in between. and the final episode from s01 took a few months to come out! so i dont know what happened there, but season 2 is coming along very nicely - i just watched the latest (episode 7) which was pretty exciting. in my opinion episdes 3->7 have been the very best of the entire series!

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's irritating is what it is. It's that kind of crap that makes me tempted to pirate complete seasons so I don't have to deal with wondering if I've missed something. (Not helped by the COMPLETELY stupid and unintuitive Virgin Media DVR box that doesn't bother telling you what episode number or name it is.)

I just saw episode 6.

Tell you what, episode 5 (Cloverdale) made me think of District 9... and because of the way they jumped right into that storyline I thought I may have missed another episode. I really like SGU but between their season/episode irrregularity, my lousy DVR box and the show's complexity it can be tough to follow.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh dont get me started on that! my pay TV company kept changing the times! had to keep a very close eye on the TV guide, and yeh it didnt show episode numbers either so i just had to put the plots together after

what did you think? i quite liked it, in 7 you will find out a 1 or 2 things about the simulation :)

episode 5 did? hmm i thought the alien encounter s02e03 (Awakening) was more District9 ;)

overall the episodes arent really tied together that much, but the characters seem to flow on.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not that anyone probably cares, but this show just ended last Monday. The ending was so bad that I wasn't sure it was the last one until I went and checked the SYFY schedule for the next few months. It's like they just gave up and threw something together.

20. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Well, it's okay... but its a cliffhanger...

I hate networks that just keeps cancelling shows randomly. At least its giving me more time to enjoy the fresh air.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i personally was in love with SGU. and HATE the fact that it ended so abruptly, i thought it kept getting better and better. grrr.