Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Return of the Leonids

A bit late, but I just thought I should post about this. I saw 3 very bright meteors last night and I'll be keeping an eye out for some more tonight.

"Estimates range from 0445 UT to 0630 UT on Nov. 19th (11:45 p.m. on Nov. 18th to 1:30 am EST on Nov. 19th). The timing favors western Europe, Africa, Brazil and eastern parts of North America."

"keep an eye out for Leonid meteors the nights of Nov. 17th – 19th. "The best time to look," he says, "is just before local dawn when the constellation Leo is high in the sky."

"Best viewing window: European observers should have the best view, during the predawn hours of Sunday, November 19. North American observers (East Coast strongly favored) should start watching just before midnight on Saturday evening, November 18, and continue watching through the morning hours of November 19."

Happy stargazing. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Thanks, but I'm not entirely sure I'll have any luck trying to catch them...

Picture 1.jpg

:(

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I'd love to see this but it's never bloody dark enough in London :(

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
BRRR, it was a cold one alright. I only saw 3 more and they were dim, short lived ones. :(

Ahhh well, it was a very calm, starlit night. Plenty of beer and peanuts. :p Good way to spend an evenin' ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.