Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
It seems like the stars are aligning for that rumored MacBook intro event on October 14. Nvidia, which was supposed to launch their MCP7A chipset on September 30, has announced the chipset will actually be available right after the alleged Apple event. Apparently, the new chipset—which is rumored to be part of the new MacBooks—bests Intel's own G45 in the graphics and audio department.

The built-in audio and video capabilities in the new Nvidia chipset is supposed to be better than Intel's offering for High Definition video decoding, with 24p mode (progressive 24 frames per second video) and LCPM (Linear Pulse Code Modulation) multi-cannel audio support.

nvidiapussycat.jpg

from Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/5058140/nvidia-launch-points-to-possible-october-14-macbook-intro

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Give me this and I will bite the bullet and save up for a MacBook. Otherwise, I'll just have to use Vista and pick up a much cheaper (spec-by-spec) XPS M1330.

powersurge

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I really hope this is true and the Macbook is at least getting something close to the 8400 for example.

I'm planning on finally upgrading from my 6 year old compaq clunker and I'm torn between the Macbook, MBP, and some of the dell machines (13 incher with 8400 or 15 inch with 8600). I've got a beefy Vista desktop (quad core, 8800gtx, 8gb of ram, etc..) and I really want to give macs a shot (I haven't used one since the original "Mac") but I also want my next laptop to at least be able to run a few games (Warcraft, D3, SC2, possibly Warhammer) without weighing 10 pounds.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
The new NVIDIA chipset has, nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with GPUs. In theory, that is.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
The new NVIDIA chipset has, nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with GPUs. In theory, that is.

If it has nothiing to do with GPU's then what does it have to do with? Nvidia only makes GPU's, and they make both integrated and discrete GPU's.

And this piece of text is right under the new ad, "NVIDIA notebook graphics processing units (GPUs) provide top-to-bottom solutions for many mobile platforms including thin and light, desktop replacement, and business notebooks, as well as mobile workstations. Whether you’re looking for the latest graphics technologies for modeling, gaming, watching high-definition content, or for a reliable and stable business solution, NVIDIA’s notebook GPUs can extend battery life while delivering great system performance."

I think it's pretty obvious Nvidia has a new line of GPU's.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
If it has nothiing to do with GPU's then what does it have to do with? Nvidia only makes GPU's, and they make both integrated and discrete GPU's.

And this piece of text is right under the new ad, "NVIDIA notebook graphics processing units (GPUs) provide top-to-bottom solutions for many mobile platforms including thin and light, desktop replacement, and business notebooks, as well as mobile workstations. Whether you’re looking for the latest graphics technologies for modeling, gaming, watching high-definition content, or for a reliable and stable business solution, NVIDIA’s notebook GPUs can extend battery life while delivering great system performance."

I think it's pretty obvious Nvidia has a new line of GPU's.

while I agree it probably has something to do with graphics, nVidia does make stuff other than GPU's, namely chipsets such as the nForce series. It's possible to have an nVidia-based motherboard with an ATI graphics card.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
The built-in audio and video capabilities in the new Nvidia chipset is supposed to be better than Intel's offering for High Definition video decoding, with 24p mode (progressive 24 frames per second video) and LCPM (Linear Pulse Code Modulation) multi-cannel audio support.

The video capabilities don't matter because OS X doesn't have any sort of hardware acceleration support for video.

The audio capabilities don't matter unless Apple includes both HDMI output and writes drivers for the hardware to support it.

The only format that takes advantage of that type of audio is blu-ray. Apple would need to support blu-ray, include HDMI, and update OS X with full GPU support for video playback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.