Starship to the Stars - Update Today

StellarVixen

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
That thing will take humans to Mars??? That looks like a silo, a water tower, it looks like something someone assembled in their backyard.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
That thing will take humans to Mars??? That looks like a silo, a water tower, it looks like something someone assembled in their backyard.
I am curious as to what you'd expect? A saucer?

You need three things in a spaceship: Great thrust, aero dynamic shape, storage. This thing provides all three.

Reactions: PC_tech

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I dunno. Something looking more structurally solid, maybe? This looks like it will fall apart on first launch. I mean, riveted steel sheets do not look very stable.
Price is the only thing I can think of. But they also do it for airplanes, so it must work I guess? Of course, airplanes don't really go through nearly the same conditions..

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeah from the look of all the welded panels, I thought maybe it was an inflatable. By the late 80s you could just about push a finger through the composite wall on some of those rockets they were getting so thin. ...but this is just an early welded version of what turns out to be a really slick design by v.3, when the whole things made of a single enormous sheetformed piece of steel with a single seam down one side. It’s taking them a bit to make the tooling on that large a scale, so in the mean time, they’re squeezing off a couple early shots on these versions.

super chimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
I dunno. Something looking more structurally solid, maybe? This looks like it will fall apart on first launch. I mean, riveted steel sheets do not look very stable.
This is a mk1 technology demonstrator. If you listen to the presentation he mentions they will be changing how they construct prototypes. This one isn’t even designed togo into space just fly suborbital.

Reactions: PC_tech

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Actually, THIS is a prototype Starship that will never reach orbit. It is designed to fly 20 Kilometer up in the atmosphere and land near where it launched from.

Yes, it was built literally in the backyard. We have to assume the version of the ship that reaches orbit will be built with better precision. Musk himself said it would be and side they'd used thinner skin and not nearly so many welded joints And the ship that flys to orbit will have a heat shield made with glass tiles.

What you see in the photo is an early prototype that will be improved with each revision.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
Actually, THIS is a prototype Starship that will never reach orbit. It is designed to fly 20 Kilometer up in the atmosphere and land near where it launched from.

Yes, it was built literally in the backyard. We have to assume the version of the ship that reaches orbit will be build with bettr precision. Musk himself said it would be and side they's used thinner skin and not nearly so many welded joints And the ship that flys to orbit will have a heat sheild made with glass tiles.

What you see in the photo is an early prototype.
Thank you for clarification.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...This one isn’t even designed to go into space just fly suborbital.
No. This Mk 1 prototype will not even come close to suborbital flight. Musk said it will fly 20 Km up into the atmosphere. (Likely at a very slow sub-sonic speed.)

The word "suborbital" usually means a ballistic trajectory above the atmoshere where the trajectory intersects the Earth's surface. The Starship will never be able to do that on Earth without a "super Heavy" booster.