Resolved Start Afresh Or Use Old Backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macman45, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Macman45, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

New iphone4S coming next week,normally I would use my old iphone4 backup to restore the newbie, but having read through the various threads here, I'm thinking start from scratch might be better?

All suggestions welcome!

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Seems

That those who do start from scratch have less problems.....It's just a ton of apps and stuff to download...I'd prefer to use the old one if I can.

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I started from scratch because I had too. Previous computer's hard drive crashed so I couldn't sync my information and apps anyway. So before I got my 4S i transferred my purchases/apps into Itunes, also my contacts. Anything else and it would have deleted my phone.

New iphone setup was simple, then I transferred the apps, updated em in app store, adjusted the settings, reloaded the music, and found some new ringtones/text tones for free.

Would it have been easier to use a backup? Yes of course, however, there are plenty of threads about the battery, and scare tactics on new phone setup vs backups. I have had fantastic battery life compared to my 3GS, and I don't know if I can pin it on a new iphone setup vs backup/restored one.

I'd say set it up new if you have the music/apps/contacts all backed up...then setup icloud and you are good to go. If you don't want to waste the time and effort, then use the backup/restore, it will all work out the same in the end, and I did mine out of necessity...

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You could always use your backup and if you have issues, try a fresh from there on. :)

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

With every new device for me or a whole new OS, (4.0, 5.0) I always do a fresh start. Runs so much faster. I dont even restore from backups on a computer if I need to, just copy over my main files (music, photos, docs).

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True

But I'd rather not have to do it twice....Not a bad idea though:)

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Your choice :cool:

9. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm Going With The Old One

Unless I see any more horror a stories...It should work perfectly!